Colorado Preference point question

Bigjav

Just want to make sure of something...There’s no pot of tags set aside for nonresidents it’s strictly highest points get the tag with a cap on percentage of nonresidents? I was looking at a unit and saw no nonresident tags issued and was curious if this is the case.

Residents and non-residents are drawn from different pools. For example one unit may have residents drawn for a 3rd rifle tag at 2 points while non-residents for the same hunt could be 6 points to draw.

^ Exactly, I encountered one example with private land tags where it took less points for a non-resident to draw than a resident.

For elk and deer that is correct. The NR cap can be 35% or 20%, depending on difficulty drawing tags for residents. (see page 4 of Big Game app book, Nonresident Allocations). For hard to draw units it very often takes many more points for NR to draw because of the cap. For post #3 regarding reversal in this trend I would wonder if that was undersubscribed example. On page 4, point 3. "Nonresident allocations may increase if licenses remain after all Colorado resident first choices have been drawn for that hunt code."

Just want to make sure of something...There’s no pot of tags set aside for nonresidents it’s strictly highest points get the tag with a cap on percentage of nonresidents? I was looking at a unit and saw no nonresident tags issued and was curious if this is the case.

Last edited:
The one I was thinking of was a couple of years ago... but here is an example from 2017 unit 59 private, 100% odds for 1 pt as a non-resident and 77% odds as a resident with one point.

elk.jpg

There are a handful of hunt codes that don't have enough licenses for a NR quota. Archery and muzzleloader unit 1 buck deer would be examples. Also, R and NR are drawn from the same pool for pronghorn..no non-resident set aside.

Also, R and NR are drawn from the same pool for pronghorn..no non-resident set aside.

I think a more precise way of saying it is for antelope there is no cap. For elk and deer there is a NR cap, which is not exactly the same thing as a NR "set aside". Sometimes a "cap" and a "set aside" have the same effect, but sometimes they don't.

The one I was thinking of was a couple of years ago... but here is an example from 2017 unit 59 private, 100% odds for 1 pt as a non-resident and 77% odds as a resident with one point.

Page 4, section 4. "License allocations to do not apply to private-land only..."

Plus, sometimes things get screwy as residents might only put in for second choice for a particular hunt code while nonresidents put in for first choice, the draw stats don't show this granularity... and it leads to situations like this...

2018-03-19_15-38-44.jpg

I think a more precise way of saying it is for antelope there is no cap. For elk and deer there is a NR cap, which is not exactly the same thing as a NR "set aside". Sometimes a "cap" and a "set aside" have the same effect, but sometimes they don't.

Yes, that's a better way of saying it.

Plus, sometimes things get screwy as residents might only put in for second choice for a particular hunt code while nonresidents put in for first choice, the draw stats don't show this granularity... and it leads to situations like this...

You've piqued my curiosity with your unit 11 example...From looking at the post draw report, I see there was a Res. with 14 pts. and a Non-Res. with 16 Pts. (both 1st choice applications) that were left out from being awarded tags even though 2 lower point holders (Non-Res. with 12 & 11 pts.) were awarded tags...How can such a scenario happen?
11M.jpg

Last edited:
You've piqued my curiosity with your unit 11 example...From looking at the post draw report, I see there was a Res. with 14 pts. and a Non-Res. with 16 Pts. (both 1st choice applications) that were left out from being awarded tags even though 2 lower point holders (Non-Res. with 12 & 11 pts.) were awarded tags...How can such a scenario happen?

Similar examples pop up fairly often, you're right that the R14 and NR16 guys should have drawn. From what I remember from others who have pinged CPW about this, those examples were usually group applications with someone who didn't have enough points (CO goes by the smallest point holder). Maybe someone else will chime in, this is a frequent topic of discussion regarding the CO draw reports.

This example also illustrates that CO does not apply a cap or quota on antelope tags; NR drew 4 of 5.

Last edited:
Similar examples pop up fairly often, you're right that the R14 and NR16 guys should have drawn. From what I remember from others who have pinged CPW about this, those examples were usually group applications with someone who didn't have enough points (CO goes by the smallest point holder). Maybe someone else will chime in, this is a frequent topic of discussion regarding the CO draw reports.

This example also illustrates that CO does not apply a cap or quota on antelope tags; NR drew 4 of 5.

I went and looked, and I can confirm that both the R14 and NR16 applications shown on the CPW report for the AM011O1M hunt were both part of a group app - that had less than 14R and 16NR points respectively.

Last edited:
I went and looked, and I (I) can confirm that both the R14 and NR16 applications shown on the CPW report for the AM011O1M hunt were both part of a group app - that had less than 14R and 16NR points respectively.
Ok and thanks for the clarification on this. I am curious as to how you verified that these applicants in question were both group apps; am I missing this info on the post draw reports?

I was looking at an antelope unit so that is probably why.

Back