Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Seek Outside packs

andlan17

Does anyone have much experience with Seek Outside packs? Particularly, how they compare to the other top tier packs (MR, SG, EXO, ect.) I cant seem to find very much info on here about them. I have read a lot of good things about them on other sites. I will be looking to purchase a pack sometime soon and am very interested in the Seek Outside packs. Thanks.

I have two, the divide and the unaweep 4800. Both fit like a dream, weigh next to nothing, dont have a lot of miles on them, but the material seems really tough, but they are a little noisy, especially as the temp drops.

Seek out side is pretty new to the hunting pack world. Can’t speak on the packs but if they build there packs like they do there tipis it should be quality. Great company. They did a demo for a friend of mine on tents. Very nice people.

Like my first generation Peregrine bag and Revolution frame way more than the Crew Cab and Longbow I had. The trade-off of the noisier X-Pac fabric is that it's waterproof.

ETA- BHA also has some membership deals with SO: https://www.backcountryhunters.org/join

Last edited:
I have a revolution. It is comfortable, light, and dependable. I don't worry about breaking it when I carry a heavy load, which is critical. There are a couple good reviews over at Rokslide.

I bought an Unaweep 4800 many years ago and it has several me well. It is crazy light, has a simple design, packs light and heavy loads well. As of a few months ago, I became a Seek Outside ambassador so I now get to try several models. The Brooks and the Peregrine models have impressed me for backpack style hunting. I feel SO packs take some tinkering to get a really good understanding of how they work but once you understand it, they are really simple to use and fine tune to your preferences in terms of fit. I have only minimal experience with Mystery Ranch and Exo packs, not enough to give a personal opinion. I will say both companies have a great reputation among really hard core hunters. And personally knowing some of the key staff at Seek Outside, Exo and Mystery Ranch, I must say you really can't go wrong in terms of companies that will take care of you. I hear the same about Stone Glacier but just don't have the personal relationships there.

I also feel that packs are a lot like boots, we all have different bodies so one brand or model may work great for you and not for some other person.

The ultralight weight and water proof fabric are my two favorite things about the SO packs.

Last note, all the companies you mentioned have a great reputation for supporting conservation which is a huge plus in my book.

Not really sure on their packs but if they build them like the build their tipi's, you have nothing to worry about. Some quality gear!!

I have one of the original Paradox packs, the precursor to the Seek Outside packs of today. It is on the Revolution frame/harness I believe. As noted it is very light and very strong. At very low temps the fabric can get stiff and noisy but that is the only drawback I have encountered. There is a learning curve on fit and function but that is due to the pack being so adjustable and multi use oriented. I love the adjustable frame height which can really get the load lifters elevated to the point they really function to lift the load off the traps and not just pull it back into the pects. Been a great pack for me. Wish I had better pics. Here are few from out west and around home.

Untitled by Hatchie, on Flickr

Untitled by Hatchie, on Flickr

And finally if you want to get a feel for the family behind the company, read this excerpt from my 2015 high country solo hunt. This picks up after I had killed my first bull.

"That night I spoke with the local game warden, the folks at the hotel and a local outfitter. They were all very kind and tried but no one could come up with any help for a pack out on your back. I resolved myself for the three days and stashing the meat over a stream in dark timber and hoping for the best. I moved camp down and made it back to the carcass by daylight the next day. I was working and remembered Nathan of the Paradox Pack Company. Nathan lived in my home state of TN but his partner lived CO and not too far from the area that I hunt. I texted Nathan back in TN and asked if his partner knew anybody that might be available to help me pack out an elk. Within 15 minutes Angie with the Seek Outside Company (they now sell the Paradox Pack under their company name) was on the phone with me saying she had 3 men on the way up the mountain. Relief swept over me. She told me, "These men are horses. You will get everything out in one trip." She was not one for exaggeration.

I was only able to get about half the meat to the trail when the first of my rescue crew showed up. Jef was tall and slim with penetrating eyes that not only looked at you but gave you that feeling you were being measured. There was little doubt in his gaze and I was left with the feeling this was a man who looked for little in the way of an external authority. Jef was 45 minutes or more in front of his mates and we moved my equipment a little further down and got the remainder of the meat and the antlers back to the trail about the time his companions made the scene. Jef did most of the work. I limped along behind.

The next guy was Lucas, a bit shorter with a kind smile and a sturdy look about him. The final of the three was Kevin, an owner of the Seek Outside Company and a man with soft eyes and the look of somebody that is comfortable in his own skin. They were all slim and if you just glanced at them you might even mistake them for frail. Nothing could be further from the truth. Each possessed tightly wound muscle made for use, not show. Their frames hid powerful strength that not only embarrassed me with my inability to keep up but finally ground me into the dirt. If you are ever to meet these men and judge them soft, I suggest you tread lightly, for you are sorely mistaken.

It boils down to these guys, Angie, and Nathan, all bailed my butt out. I am not sure I could have done the pack out without them. Kevin was nice enough to say,"You would have got it done, but you would have been miserable". I take that as a compliment.

It ends up that I didn't get a single picture of those fellows, but I will never forget them.

One final comment here. If your want to do business with a guy that will drop everything one day during the elk season, gather help and rush up a mountain to assist a "customer" pack out an elk on his back, a guy that hunts public land with the equipment he sells, and continually looks for ways to improve it, then you need to look at Kevin and the Seek Outside Company. He and Angie are good folks that live the tenants of the OYOA lifestyle. I am indebted to them for their act of kindness and support and will never forget them."

That was almost a 5 mile pack out, so yeah I'm a fan and will be.

HD

I have the Brooks pack. Really like it. Carries heavy loads better than Mystery Ranch and other packs I've used. Pack weighs less too.

I have an Evolution which precedes the current Revolution with 4,800 bag, day talon and top lid. I've taken it everywhere from Alaska to Arizona and packed a ton a game in it. I've been incredibly happy with it, I had a KUIU pack before that and it was a night and day difference in function. I mostly run all my day use stuff in the talon and top lid and save the main compartment for a quarter. I've recently started experimenting running without the lid and talon to save a bit of weight, but limiting a touch on convenience.

I've got my eye on a peregrine 3500 right now. The side pockets and sleeves would be incredible useful to me.

I read where one can now get the Revo frame and the Brooks pack. I got the green light from the boss tonight to order my pack which I plan to do tomorrow.

I recently had an opportunity to try a buddy's SO Gosshawk. I did a side by side comparison rucking with 60lbs along with my Kifaru T2. I was very impressed with how comfortable the SO was under a load compared to the Kifaru. With the pack and frame being so light, I was expecting it to not feel as comfortable, but it actually felt better than the kifaru.

The Brooks is also a sweet looking pack.

There are many good pack companies to choose from these days. Seek Outside, Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier... it's hard to go wrong with any of these. I will say that SO tends to have minimal pockets and organization in an effort to be lightweight, so you have to decide for yourself if that's a good or bad thing.

So I called SO this morning to place an order. I wanted the Brooks pack on the Revo frame. I also wanted the pack in their Camo pattern. Nathan advised me that the Brooks and Revo frame had yet to become available and would be approximately 6 weeks before it would be on the market. He advised the Camo was a special run.
He said they were getting a lot of requests for the same setup I called to order. I told him I could wait. I don’t want any would’s, coulda’s, or shoulda’s.
I set my calendar to remind myself six weeks from today.

I have done a ton or research this past month on what new hunting pack Im going to buy for CO Elk backpack hunting and Im going with the Seek Broadwing 7000. I was down to the Stone Glacier EVO and this and I just like the over Seek design where you can make the bag as big or as small as you need using the side pockets to cinch down to 2 different day pack modes plus all the configurations you can use the the side pockets. I also like how its on the breakaway frame which the Brooks is not with only a half pound cost to get that versatility.

https://seekoutside.com/broadwing-7000/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ERlCG58EnA

Last edited:
Good feedback here, nice to see that. If anyone has any questions about our packs I'd be happy to help. I don't get over here that often but do check in.

Nathan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back