Caribou Gear Tarp

splitting hairs on similar cartridges

There is nothing the 30-06 can do that the .308 can't do better or vice versa.

Idk maybe 20 years ago, 06 has about a 100 FPS average advantage these days comparing the fastest .308 loads to the fastest 06 loads with the same weight bullets. That’s an advantage I think most would consider significant..

Idk maybe 20 years ago, 06 has about a 100 FPS average advantage these days comparing the fastest .308 loads to the fastest 06 loads with the same weight bullets. That’s an advantage I think most would consider significant..

If you handload, the ‘06 will beat the ‘08 by 150 FPS or so

Nice troll thread. I like guns. I own calibers from .22 to .444 Marlin.

I've taken elk from .270 to .338.

Sometimes I like to carry one or one of the others. My off-season project is a 6.5X55 mauser that I figure my kids will like to shoot. Then a .243 in the wings where I need to work up a load. If they don't like them after a few hundred rounds, we'll figure out something different. Except for the .243, it's a family heirloom (I'll keep it to shoot it). Some of my guns have sentimental appeal, the others are constantly up for evaluation.

I figure most folks (other than some of the folks on this forum) haven't put enough rounds down range to have an objective opinion.

It's late and the Eagle Rare has kicked in.

I have always wanted an 06 and a 308. Even though I hand load I found it interesting that Nosler loads their commercial 165 hunting loads to the exact same velocity in both the 06 and 308. So I will probably pass on an 06 and just get a 308 or if I am feeling like I want to make it expensive a 6.5x284.

I have always wanted an 06 and a 308. Even though I hand load I found it interesting that Nosler loads their commercial 165 hunting loads to the exact same velocity in both the 06 and 308. So I will probably pass on an 06 and just get a 308 or if I am feeling like I want to make it expensive a 6.5x284.

That is due to the fact that factory ‘06 ammo is loaded to lower chamber pressures for the old military rifles.

When handloaded, the ‘06 outperforms the ‘08.

LOL.

The winner for sure.

The 6.5x55 was invented about 1891. Perfect cartridge, everything after is just over thinking it.

Back