splitting hairs on similar cartridges

My Wife still kills cow elk with her BLR in .243. Probably about 20 or so of them by now. She is careful about her shots and gets within a 100 yards. I like a .30 meself.

I don't think there are any big game animals that require a 200gr bullet, I suspect the 180gr 30 cal will work on everything. Of course there are people that will say a grizzly needs a 200+ grain bullet. I don't believe that's true. what the 200gr bullet give's you is peace of mind! And, a 170gr bullet is not 180grs! Now that's cutting a retty fine thread!

I didn’t say it was required, but if I were hunting Brown Bear, Bison, or Polar Bear, Id probably be inclined to load a 200 grain bullet.

With all the new calibers coming out I'm beginning to see see the good classic calibers go by the wayside. I miss the 6mm Remington. In my opinion it was one of the best all around cartridges once they got the twist rate correct. It's sad you can't get a new one without visiting a gunsmith.

I can't name one.

It all depends on how you look at it. I'll never hunt brown bear but you can bet if I did it would be my 30-06 with a 200gr bullet! need and want are two different thing's. I've never owned a 300 mag of any kind but if I did it would use a 200gr bullet for anything I hunted with it. The 270 has a lot of words wrote about it and while I don't believe they are wrong, there's not much it can do that a 30-06 or even a 280 can't do better. Jack O'Conner made the 270, take him out of it and the 270 may not be here!

I agree, need and want are two different things. I'd have no problem using a 30cal in 30-06 or larger with a 180gr bullet to hunt anything NA has to offer. My pard had no problems on a brown bear in AK with a 300WSM and a 180gr Barnes TTSX.

OK, I'll toss in on this one. I've never owned an '06 anything, and never will. Gave up on the Mag anything about 30 years ago, and have never not felt under gunned. Even gave up the 308 about 15 yrs ago and went to a 7mm. (recoil and BOOM, it's a 6 lb carbine)

But, now I'm playing with a 338 Fed, just cuz it's something fun to play with and it's a little powerhouse that can easily deliver '06' performance with a bigger/ heavier bullet, less powder, and an easier day on the shoulder at the range.

You know this statement isn't 100% correct right? Yes you can achieve similar velocity with the 338 as the 30-06 with less powder for the same weight bullet, but your recoil will be greater due to the larger bore diameter and the increase in bullet resistance in the 338.

since I'm an east coast guy and in Florida we do lots or ARs especially playing with suppressors I bring you the bubba argument of 223 vs 7.62x39 vs 300blk or 6.5 Grendel vs 6.8 spc.
every caliber has the same contenders: Do you reload, if not cost and availability of factory ammo. do you have a gun in that caliber already, is it cost effective for new mags, bolts, suppressors.

If my wife ever looks at this thread then opens the safe, I think I will have some explaining to do...:cool:

Time to change the safe door code. As for the topic of this thread, I'd say all of the new chamberings from the recent years have created some.
6.5 Creedmore v. 260 Rem: Both SA Rounds but the 260 has an extra 100 or so fps of velocity.

Me, I say that most animals in NA are taken at 200 yards and in so load a .45-70 with a .405gr lead boolit loaded to 1600 fps and get to 200. If anything gets up from that, you made a poor shot.

If you want to argue Husky v. Stihl it's Husky every time for me. Probably only because some Huskys kept food in my belly growing up.

I guess I'm old...lol I bet it's all over the place now.

I remember a poll on RMEF a few years back on favorite all around elk /deer round.
1 30-06
2 270
3 300WM
4 308
I'll stick with my -06 I bought from a guy getting a 270 in 1978....I bet he has gone thru a dozen 270's & is well stocked in 300's,working on the 308's after a stint in 7mm land....lol

Last edited:
7.62 x 54R vs .308 vs .30-06

The Mosin Nagant will win this battle.

Reasons why:

- a bayonet that can slay grouse without spooking the entire mountain.

- A bayonet that doubles as a pot holder cooking over an open fire.

- You can bury your mosin in the backyard during the offseason and then dig it up for the hunting season - clear the bore and it will still be as accurate as it was before. (No need to hit the broad side of the barn when the muzzle blast blows the barn down)

- Your rifle doubles as a club and trekking pole.

- It has an adjustable aiming device that is good up to 12 miles or so.

- Recoil on the 2nd shot relocates your dislocated shoulder from the first shot

- The Cartridge was developed by a Drunk Russian and an even drunkererer Belgian

- No real man, would consider any other cartridge; ever.

Hands down, there is no other answer when it comes to calibers or rifles.

I'm now sold on the Mosin Nagant. I needed an excuse to buy a 7.62 X 54R anyway and I like the idea of freeing up space in my gun safe by burying it in the yard while I'm not using it.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back