Non-enclosed bino harness?

Like many of you, I've been on the pursuit of the "perfect" binocular harness. Everybody has a favorite, and all of them seem to fall short in one way or another. And, of course, the price tag many of them carry is quite high.

Do any of you find that it's better just to use a non-enclosed bino harness? If so, why? What works for you?

The reason I ask is because I realized that one of the hunters I respect the most just uses a super simple Hornady or Cabela's harness. It seems like it is actually way faster to access your binos and so much cheaper. Thoughts?

Rick Young Outdoors. I can't say why I like it better than one with a pack as I've never used the pack-style.

I can see the reason some folks like those case things and I can see why people just like the Cabelas harness thing. The main reason I believe people use them over the stock harness is because it takes stress off the neck, among other things. I myself use the stock harness the binos came with as that works for me.

I had the simple Cabelas harness. It worked great, I got tired of taking the lens covers on and off. What finally made me switch was going through brush I had a lens cover pop off and lost. I have plenty of friends that had use the enclosed harness. I bought this one at Cabelas, at the time it 50% off and the only reason for the purchase. It's magnetized, stays closed, and shuts quickly. In reality they both worked perfectly fine for me. I do prefer the enclosed now that I have it. Not to big of a difference until you use one.

https://www.amazon.com/Badlands-Opt...1496233&sr=8-1&keywords=badlands+bino+harness

I have a rick young and love it for tree stand hunting, its so light and easy to use. On the other hand, i think if you are hunting out west and doing a spot and stalk type hunt, the enclosed system may be the better route. With the rick young harness its out in the open and exposed to the elements, which may or may not be a big issue but its something to consider.

My old strap and clip attachment to my binoculars was fine right up to the time that precipitation started to fall, or if I was doing some heavy ninja work in the woods on hands and knees. The old system would allow the binocular drag on the ground, or pick up debris in the junction between strap and optics. My current system is fully enclosed with waterproof/dustproof closure and keeps the pouch up close to my ever expanding dad bod.

I use a badlands harness and a spudz slicker during turkey season for my 10x42 works really well. But wouldn't put a nice pair swaros in it to be beat around. It's a great alternative to the "bulky-ness" of the badlands case I have for my 12's.

I had the original stretchy bikini harness style for awhile. Great for tree stand work, or light duty action. Once it gets thick, wet, or crawling the bino's, hung up on branches, got wet, lost covers, dragged in the dirt etc.

Couple years back, right before AGC blew up, I picked up one of their MAX Cub's. Love it! Not only does it hold my range finder, phone, ID/Tags, GPS, and wind checker. That alone was worth it to free up my pants pockets when needed. I looked at FNF, Badlands etc, but cost comparison/size/utility from what you get, the AGC was $ for $ best value for me.

I run an AGC Kodiak C.U.B., it holds my 12x50s very well, i also used to have my rangefinder in the front pocket of it, but recently purchased a rangefinder pouch from Kuiu with a lanyard, that goes on the side of the binoc harness.
Its pretty bulky, but holds a lot, i haven't filled the thing up yet, but i have an extra cleaning cloth, a small knife, a small blue-tooth remote for my digi-scoping set up, a couple diaphragms, and a few other little things and there is still tons of room.
The C.U.B. and my rangefinder pouch both have the loop closure systems so its super quiet as well.
I also have a badlands bino harness, which is non-enclosed but my old binos got beat up pretty bad with it.

My goal with it is to have the essentials that i need so if im making a stalk and ditch my pack i still have enough in my bino pouch to get the job done without my pack.

My simple Schnees elastic harness has been working great for 11 years with my Swaros. I also have one of the small, camo, stretchy covers that get get used if it's raining or snowing. Love it and very quick access to binos for quick looks in the dark timber.

Mine does not interfere at all, it seems like it will when you put it on for the first time but no it is well out of the way for me.

Anyone have experience with the FHF or marsupial gear ones? Im looking at getting an enclosed system and like the look and function of these two.

Anyone have experience with the FHF or marsupial gear ones? Im looking at getting an enclosed system and like the look and function of these two.

I have tried a few different ones. Settled on the Drooked Horn elastic and/or Marsupial depending on what I’m hunting and where. I liked Marsupial better than any other brand due to the quality, low profile design, quiet construction and the way the top opens. Worked brilliantly on an elk hunt this year busting through tough scrubs and thick woods.

I have tried a few different ones. Settled on the Drooked Horn elastic and/or Marsupial depending on what I’m hunting and where. I liked Marsupial better than any other brand due to the quality, low profile design, quiet construction and the way the top opens. Worked brilliantly on an elk hunt this year busting through tough scrubs and thick woods.

Crooked Horn...

Do any of you find that it's better just to use a non-enclosed bino harness? If so, why? What works for you?

I use to have a non-enclosed bino harness.... I ended up buying a FHF bino harness https://fhfgear.com/products/bino-harness. Best decision I've ever made, when you invest decent money into binoculars, you will want to protect them from the elements (dirt, rain, etc). I think it is just as easy to get it out as it is to just pull up your binoculars from a non-enclosed bino harness. Plus the enclosed keeps the bino's closer to your chest for comfort while on the trail.

Thanks for your opinions everyone. I've tried some of the more expensive harnesses, and while they are good, I feel like they're so overpriced. I tried the Vortex Glasspak binocular harness for a whole season, mostly because it so close to the FHF harness but less than half the price, and I definitely did not like it it. In fact, I put out a video review of some flaws it has for the same reason:
[video=youtube_share;2ocF1OqnXxY]https://youtu.be/2ocF1OqnXxY[/video]

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back