Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Range Report

Brian in Montana

Maybe this is not really worth a whole new thread, but I gotta admit I'm kind of proud of myself.

7mm-08
41.3 grains of Varget
140 grain Nosler AB
2725 fps
.75 MOA

I think I may have found a winner!

Attachments

• 20180318_173259.jpg
    20180318_173259.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 625
That'll do the trick. There really is a certain amount of pride when you get a load developed, then when you get an animal with one of your own handloads, it adds to it even more.

That'll do the trick. There really is a certain amount of pride when you get a load developed, then when you get an animal with one of your own handloads, it adds to it even more.

I absolutely agree. I think it's the same tying your own flies or making your own lures. That 7mm-08 is a sweet little cartridge and you just have to love those Accubonds for performance on paper and on animals. Fantastic bullet.

Nice group. Why didn’t you push for a bit more velocity?

I will at some point. My first goal was to put together a load I'd feel comfortable hunting with. I will fart around with it more at some point, work on seating depth, etc. I also still have a batch of test loads using Interlock BTSP's and H4350 I haven't tried yet. I meant to yesterday, but got chased off by a cruddy change in the weather.

Make sure you check your loads for repeatability. I know I'm not the only one who's had a lights out three shot group they could never replicate again.

Make sure you check your loads for repeatability. I know I'm not the only one who's had a lights out three shot group they could never replicate again.

I repeated this load a couple times. One 5 shot group and two 3 shot groups. The pic is of the last 3 shot group. I think its ok.

I know that feeling... I recently shot a 7/16" group while testing a new load. I tried two more times to repeat it and was more like 1.5-2" both times. Sort of like going on a date and thinking you found the one.... and then realizing on the second date that you definitely did not.

Congrats on the new load Brian. Even if you can't keep accuracy at higher velocities, I think that one ought to serve you well at mortal ranges. What's your OAL?

COL is 2.8"
Measured from the polymer tip, not the olive.

I have some test loads for .308 I wanted to shoot more the other day, before the blizzard started. The first 2 loads were surprisingly awful. 4-5 inch groups.

COL is 2.8"
Measured from the polymer tip, not the olive.

I have some test loads for .308 I wanted to shoot more the other day, before the blizzard started. The first 2 loads were surprisingly awful. 4-5 inch groups.

Martinis and handloading don't mix.;)

My rifle is like that. I can usually find a node where accuracy is good, but the other charge weights will be terrible.

Last edited:
Nice group!
Velocity about right for Varget.
Haven't tried H4350 yet.
H414, PP2000 give me in the neighborhood of 2836 fps.
RL17 gives 2916.

Lowest ES, DS from PP2000.
Try it, you'll like it! :D:

Way to go!! I was in awe when I watched my hand load drop the deer in Montana on the YouTube episode. It's an amazing feeling of pride and sense of accomplishment. I can't wait to see your hero shot of an animal you shot with one you loaded!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back