Yeti GOBOX Collection

Nm elk unit 5b, 28, 48, and 55

mitchparker6

Just looking for some info on these units or if anyone has hunted these before. Only reason why I selected these units is due to the fact that I will be farming and harvest is usually done by early November or mid November. So to be safe I picked the seasons where the dates are in last weekend of november and in early to mid December. Read that 5b isn't really great. Would really be interested to see if anyone has hunted unit 28 because I can't find any info on it. I know it's close to military base. Dont know much about 48 or 55 except 55 is urraca wma Nov 25-29th. Any ok info would be appreciated! Thanks

Not sure if you are a resident, but if not then the Urraca is out. 48 is the Whites Peak state land area, I would not apply for that without doing more research. Maybe the access issues have been worked out but for several years it was a mess. And you still might not be able to get to the "good spot". If you can pick up a muzzleloader unit 51 has a Dec. hunt, with plenty of public land and a decent elk herd. Sorry, don't know anything about 28.

I called on 28 and it seems like you have to go through some paper work to get access to the mcgregor range. I called the game warden on 48 and he made it seem like there are plenty of access points to get to the elk. Also my mistake on the urraca area. I'm a nonresident

Yup, 28 is McGregor Range on Fort Bliss, it wouldn't be my first choice. But if you can pass a criminal background check, you can hunt on the installation.

As a NR, you're pretty much limited in 55 to the Valle Vidal Greenwood Unit.

48 is mostly state and private, which makes camping tougher. Access is not great there but can be done. Buddy of mine paid a rancher to camp on his land and cross into public that was otherwise inaccessible. It worked out for him but he earned it.

The unit 28 hunt can be a pretty good hunt, but there needs to be a good amount of snow in the sacramentos to push the elk into the lower country. CWD is present on the range and you're required to take tissue samples from the animals if you hunt there. Another thing you have going for you is that it's an either sex tag and you can kill a cow to fill the freezer if you want to.

I've also hunted 5b a few times on archery hunts and a rifle cow hunt but never during the late dec bull hunt that you are refering to, but its also highly weather dependant. There used to be only 10 tags for this hunt and it was an excellent chance to hunt elk at low pressure, since they increased the tag numbers, I've quit appling for this hunt.

Another option you might want to consider is the Dec unit 51 ES muzzleloader hunt.

Aggieoutlaw, why wouldn't 28 be your first choice just out of curiosity? Due to the access permit required? 28, 48 and 5b are the only ones that work with my farming schedule, that's why I chose these units. I heard 5b is a really really difficult hunt due to it being a migratory passage? Also read online there is some poaching there at times, not trying to upset or offend people but just stating what I read. And more times than not you have to take that stuff with a grain of salt. Not a horn hunter just looking to get out and hunt different area. I was looking at 28 as1st choice due to least amount of people hunting the area and success rate. Then 48 and 5b.

No. John hit the nail on the head. If the elk aren’t on the range, it’s not much of a hunt. I don’t speak from experience because I’ve never applied for it.

Getting on the range isn’t that difficult. Don’t let it deter you unless you have a less than reputable background. If you aren’t a convict, you can get on post.

Sorry for the late response. It won’t matter this year at this point. But 51 ES ML is another good choice. Plenty of options to get a late season cow tag if that is appealing. There are also some late season archery hunts that you can pick up OTC first come if you don’t draw.

Best of luck.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back