Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunting burns???

RHRichardsJr

I'm new to hunting out West in that my first DIY trip will be this year. I've been looking on OnXHunt and have noticed quite a few burns to hunt. My question is this . . . is there a particular year that is best to hunt burns, I.e. a one year old burn, two year old burn, etc? I'm sure the fresh, green undergrowth takes time to get going and was curious as to what the others on this forum may have experienced. Any light you can shed would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Depending on the location. Slope (sun light), climate, etc. makes a huge difference. In general before 10 yrs of age but usually after at least one full growing year. Typically I lean towards 3-6 years

If you do pick a burn area to hunt, make sure you check the management agency's (BLM, USFS) website for closures. One of the big burn areas that I was interested in last year (burned in 2016) is still closed. And I don't mean the roads are closed - the whole area is closed to humans! They don't really spell it out, but I think they want to minimize erosion and the risk to people of falling dead trees, but also probably so they can complete mitigation work (aerial re-seeding for instance) without worrying about dropping stuff on people.

Burns can be productive for a very long time. We have been hunting one burn since the early 80's and it still has lots of game.

If you do pick a burn area to hunt, make sure you check the management agency's (BLM, USFS) website for closures. One of the big burn areas that I was interested in last year (burned in 2016) is still closed. And I don't mean the roads are closed - the whole area is closed to humans! They don't really spell it out, but I think they want to minimize erosion and the risk to people of falling dead trees, but also probably so they can complete mitigation work (aerial re-seeding for instance) without worrying about dropping stuff on people.

Thank you for sharing that. Very helpful and will do for sure.

Back