Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Remington 870 Super Mag?

NMGuy

For folks who have a Remington 870 Super Mag and who know it is set up for 3.5" 12ga shells, could you tell me how big (long) is your ejection port?

I found what is supposed to be a Remington 870 Super Mag at a good price. The bolt has the "groove" on the side of it, and the side of the gun says "Super Mag". The problem is the ejection port is only 3.5" long. That seems odd to me, as a 3.5" shell would be longer than 3.5" after it has been fired, right? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance,

-Guy

No, the serial number ends with 4d, which is one of the things that confused me. The magnum should end with "M" and the Super Mag should end with "A".

Just to clarify, the serial number I'm referencing is the full number on the side of the receiver above the trigger. Should I be looking at the 2-3 digit code on the barrel?

My super mag takes 3.5 inch shells and has a 3.5 opening.... It works just fine and ejects the shells just fine.....

Are most shells actually 3.5" long? I thought it was kinda like a max length. I know different brands are markedly different in actual length. I've just never measured them.

Thanks CampRipley, I appreciate the info.

Beginnerhunter- I never thought about it. I just measured some shells and it looks like a 2 3/4" shell measures 2.25". My 3" shells measure 2.5".

My two older Remingtons (2 & 3/4") have ports which measure 2 & 7/8" and a spent shell measures 2 & 3/4", plus the fact that the bolt comes back 1/4" beyond the back of the port before allowing the empty to flip out the port. Chances are your spent shell measures 3.5".

Last edited:
My two older Remingtons (2 & 3/4") have ports which measure 2 & 7/8" and a spent shell measures 2 & 3/4", plus the fact that the bolt comes back 1/4" beyond the back of the port before allowing the empty to flip out the port. Chances are your spent shell measures 3.5".

Tarheel nailed it the bolt goes back further then the opening giving you the extra clearance needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back