Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Florida to Colorado

Adrock

So I grew up in Florida and moved to Colorado Springs about a year ago. I grew up fishing and in my 20’s I took up hunting. I am currently 41 years old. I have hunted and been successful at many types of hunting from quail, ducks, turkeys, whitetail and hogs. I have hunted with all sorts of weapons but I have a passion for archery. I intend to hunt elk on OTC archery this year and put in for any other tag I can get. I will also Turkey hunt OTC in spring and use that time to scout for Elk as well.

I have been listening to podcasts while driving including Hunt Talk(which is what led me here) and I have watched countless hours of youtube and amazon prime videos while doing cardio in the gym. I have watched all of the Freah Track videos. I spend many hours reading and researching gear. On the weekends I try to go out and scout but most spots I have been looking at are a 2-4 hour drive.

I am so excited for this season as I love to explore. In Florida I mostly hunted the same piece of 5000 acres for the last 20 years.

Since I am completely new to Colorado I will take any advice especially regarding any tags I could draw without any points. Horns are nice but I am a meat eater and that is the main goal.

Adam

Welcome from another transplant to the Springs. I have been here 9 years this summer and it is a great place to live. Have you put in your applications yet?

Cheers and welcome from Denver - Im new here and to hunting in general. There are actually bunch a of units I found you can draw with 0 points as a resident for both Elk and Mule deer in CO which is nice. Take a look at the big game brochure and the CPW stats Draw Recap Reports from last year to help to narrow down what unit and season you want to pick. They are a little tricky to figure out your first time but they have a guide to help you. Also you can just get an general OTC tag for Elk if you cant decide before April 3 for the hefty redient fee of $46. My advice is to pick areas you want to spend time in hiking or camping this summer then can go back to for hunting season. Thats is my plan at least.

I have been spending a ton of time E-scouting and actual scouting. I just enjoy being outdoors. Unfortunately I will be busy for the next couple weeks since we are closing on a house on April 25th but I plan to finalize my draw choices this weekend and send it off. It is going to be like Christmas in June, I just hope I don't get a lump of coal LOL. I am hunting OTC archery Elk either way though and Possibly an OTC whitetail tag if I can locate some to hunt.

Adam

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back