Caribou Gear

Pronghorn vs Elk

Funhunter

You have done "how to" videos on elk and they are super helpful. Are you planning on doing them for other species? I am trying to plan non-resident hunts for pronghorn but I am not quite sure where to start with OnX maps etc. Thanks for all you do.

Glad you found them helpful. Elk emails are the most common questions we get, thus why we do more info on elk basics.

If consistently finding public land elk is a 10 on difficulty scale of 10, finding antelope is usually a 1 to 3 on the same scale, depending on where you're hunting. That is why we don't do many videos on them.

We are going to do a more in-depth series of E-scouting videos with onX, once tag results come out. I suspect some of the ideas covered in that series will apply to planning any western hunt, even antelope.

With the vast info on elk, I would say that from someone who is green as can be, it appears that chasing elk is less daunting since many more "unknowns" are answered. Whereas mule deer, pronghorn and even black bear appear to be harder even though what is said about elk can be applied to other species.

That being said, I'll look forward to the new videos as well! I'd love to do a pronghorn hunt sometime!

I think it's hard to grasp how easy antelope hunting actually is until you do it. When I leave for elk hunting I'm very uncertain as to whether I'll punch my tag in a week. Even hunting a "poor" antelope unit I feel pretty confident I can kill an antelope in the first 2 hours if I want and I'm not picky.

Totally agree NoWiser! My daughter and I did our first ever antelope hunt last year and even give our greenhorness, it was easy and filled both tags by Day 2 in a hard area to find accessible public land. Compared to my elk hunts, it was a piece of cake.

I would try not to look at antelope as a slam dunk it depends how you're hunting. Try spot and stalk hunting them with a bow and you won't classify it as easy anymore

I would try not to look at antelope as a slam dunk it depends how you're hunting. Try spot and stalk hunting them with a bow and you won't classify it as easy anymore

That is true, but finding antelope on huntable land is even easier during archery season. Sneaking to within range is a complete different story. Anyone who can do it consistently has my respect.

Just the sheer amount of pressure makes elk a tougher way to tag out (the ol supply/demand lesson from economics creeping back in)

That was my thought but I see NoWiser clarified.... I'll be looking forward to the new content Big Fin!

That is true, but finding antelope on huntable land is even easier during archery season. Sneaking to within range is a complete different story. Anyone who can do it consistently has my respect.

I will definitely agree to that especially in early season

I am not looking for a specific unit, but in general is there a way to determine if a unit is better than other? I am planning to do a doe/fawn hunt next fall and know almost nothing about scouting antelope but would like to get a feel for them before putting in for a buck tag in the future.

I am not looking for a specific unit, but in general is there a way to determine if a unit is better than other? I am planning to do a doe/fawn hunt next fall and know almost nothing about scouting antelope but would like to get a feel for them before putting in for a buck tag in the future.

A doe tag is fairly easy to draw. I would look for decent public access.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back