Caribou Gear

New Mexico Draw Deadline Approaching (Mar. 21st)

Matt R

Just a reminder for everyone to get your Land of Enchantment apps in before EOD Mar. 21st; with my expected Uncompahgre bull hunt this year, I only put in for archery pronghorn but it was a must do this year as a man can only watch Randy hunt prongbuck on the verdant southern plains of New Mexico so many times before he must do it himself...Best of luck to everyone in the draws.

That’s a good tip on the 1700 cutoff as I didn’t realize that was the case. I hear you on the 3% odds but it’s nice to know N.M. looks at all 3 choices at one iteration so swing for the fences that first and even second choice but find an area with a bit more friendly odds for that 3rd choice if you’re so inclined.

I have never had good luck applying at the deadline, or when first available. or in the middle.

I applied semi early this year, (deer, elk, oryx).

Good luck to all and if you deserve it, you can take my tag. (smiley)

I went in last month.
I do find out what unit I didn't draw again on my birthday though..........
Good Luck Folks.

I always put mine in early and then attempt to "forget" about it. AKA lose sleep every night until the draw.
I've got a good feeling about this year...

Trying to decide how understanding my wife will be when she sees a $3k charge :confused:

Can’t win if you don’t try though right?

Trying to decide how understanding my wife will be when she sees a $3k charge :confused:

That's no joke I put in for antelope, deer, elk, and sheep the total was over 4k although except for my 3rd choice elk and my 2nd and 3rd deer picks all other picks are under 10% draw odds most much lower so I'm sure I'll get most of my money back.

That's no joke I put in for antelope, deer, elk, and sheep the total was over 4k although except for my 3rd choice elk and my 2nd and 3rd deer picks all other picks are under 10% draw odds most much lower so I'm sure I'll get most of my money back.

Yea it was about the same for me. Good thing you saved your money on an ibex app though as I'm going to draw that tag!

yup. I went deep on NM as well. Even tossed in Oryx and Barbary. Lotta coin for almost no chance on any of the tags.....

I finally made some last minute hunt picks but just for elk & lope. First time I've done all firearm hunts, most opportunity type, so my wife can accompany me.

New Mexico Game & Fish is mulling changes to the structure of pronghorn seasons for next year and it could possibly make draw odds a bit better for both residents and non-residents as they're mulling actions such as reducing the minimum amount of acreage required of private ranches that can receive tags, more than doubling the amount of GMU's that the public can apply for and even eliminating checkboard public/private lands in areas to allow private tags to be valid on unitized public leased lands and vice versa; the NE area alone could see tag number increases of 56% and 70% for rifle and archery hunts respectively (The most recent backcountry journal also mentions BHA efforts aimed at making increased pronghorn hunting opportunities in New Mexico a reality).

You can read more about what is being considered here:
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/dow...rnative-Pronghorn-Hunt-Management-Summary.pdf

Of my 15 choices across all species (no deer), I think only one hunt is over 2% odds. A total swing-for-the-fences year in NM for me between a new job and my 15 resident CO deer points getting burnt...

You do know you will get most of that $ back in a month?
On the antelope deal I know little.
I do know locals are pissed here as the minimum acreage in program went from 3kac to 20kac....it was 1200 ac a few years ago.Numbers have increased here.

I'm only in for elk, draw odds between 1 and 4%. Praying for the premium home run tags like many other guys on here.

I've only applied in NM a few times, but I seem to have a growing interest to hunt that state for the 1st time. Especially for the scenery, the elk and bears. My old wildlife biology teacher worked for Game and Fish in NM for 10 years, he was always talking about the size of the bears in that state!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back