Spring bear hunt state?

jsstoeber

Montana
Wyoming
Idaho

Which state would you recommend for an out-of-stater to do a spring bear hunt?

Too much snow this year in MT. They won't be out until after the season is over. I heard CO is your best bet.

And this is serious. We've had record snow fall this year - gonna be a late bear season

Yea....Colorado doesn't have a season... so...

Also I don't think the snow pack will have much of an effect on bears coming out of the den. It might make it tough to access bears in many areas though, probably a really good year to hunt the female quota units in MT as I bet they will stay open much later than they have the last couple of years.

That being said, I think western Idaho will have the best early access to bears.

Here are the current % snow pack levels, as you can see northwest WY and MT are above 150% and the Boise area is around 89%
snow.jpg

Last edited:
I am trending toward MT.
I want to bring my dad along on this hunt, his work though is ramping up in mid May...
Where are some good spots to go early season...ends April...

Kraft creek elevation 4750 has 47 inches of snow at 100pm today, North Fork of the Jocko elevation 6330 has 136 inches of snow at 100pm today. Both of these snotel sites are in the Seeley Lake area. There have been some Grizzly tracks located north of Ovando in the last week but no word of any Black Bears out yet. It will be awhile before you can get around in western Mt.

Dan

I am trending toward MT.
I want to bring my dad along on this hunt, his work though is ramping up in mid May...
Where are some good spots to go early season...ends April...

Don’t go for early season bears in MT this year.

We're gonna have a decent early season, although I still much prefer to hunt bears after May 1st. I know some guys still do pretty well the first 2 weeks of the season though.

Nothing but sun and 60 degrees on the 10 day forecast here.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back