Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Doe Meat hunt in WY

Majja

Hey all,
I have never hunted outside of Ut and I am looking at putting in for a doe (or two) meat tag in Wy. I have been researching the draw odds/tags that were given last year and have noticed a few interesting areas. I saw some areas with several hundred tags but only double digit hunters, I am assuming that these areas are access nightmares.. Examples are hunt area 3 143 is the quota a total of 16 first and second choice tags. Area 23 993 tags 1st choice 166 send choice 32 ect. Can any of you point me in a directions for some different areas I might want to look for to try and dry a Doe or two meat tag? I do not mind putting on a few windshield miles if necessary. I would love some advice form the locals on what general areas to look at and stay away from. If you do not want to share I do welcome PM's and emails.

Thank you
Matt

Really any of those north east units will have difficult access but plenty of animals. I’d advise getting into the maps and figuring out which ‘*’ unit gives you enough access to have a good time. A guy coming from the Midwest will find that even the difficult areas have tons of room to roam imo. Up to you to decide what works for you. Like I said the game is there if you’re willing.

Any area along I-80 and in central Wyoming. Since doe tags are random put in for an area with good access. Don't worry about hunter numbers for doe unless you go the difficult access route. The farther east on I-80 from Evanston the better the population is doing. Great fishing too for after you fill out. Might get in some sage grouse hunting in the right area at the right time. Even the red desert had good antelope hunting with good access. No need to drive all the way to the NE corner.

I hunted a difficult access unit last year for my first western hunt. Coming from Iowa I was amazed that anybody would call that difficult access. We had no problem finding public land right on county roads. Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks for the info. I will look at the units a few more times and get my apps in. If I draw I will try to get out and remove a few of the Pdogs out there as well.

I hunted a difficult access unit last year for my first western hunt. Coming from Iowa I was amazed that anybody would call that difficult access. We had no problem finding public land right on county roads. Good luck on your hunt.

My experience as well (except for the Iowa part).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back