Potential Reintroduction of Wolves on Isle Royale

It's definitely an interesting story to follow. I'd not be opposed to reintroducing wolves to the island. I'd also not be opposed to opening it up to moose hunting until a cold winter forms an ice bridge for the wolves to reintroduce themselves.

Hmmm, and they say wolves are not the reason the Minnesota moose population is on a traumatic downward spiral. Kinda funny that the moose on an island only a few miles away where the wolves are basically non existent are flourishing to a point of over browsing the island.

The lack of White-tailed deer on the island probably has a big impact on the parasitic disease Brain Worm that the moose on the mainland have to deal with. Brain worm has been found in a large percentage of the collared moose mortality studies here in the upper peninsula. I do find this an interesting topic to watch.

The lack of White-tailed deer on the island probably has a big impact on the parasitic disease Brain Worm that the moose on the mainland have to deal with. Brain worm has been found in a large percentage of the collared moose mortality studies here in the upper peninsula. I do find this an interesting topic to watch.

It has a HUGE impact (the lack of deer).

There are some great articles by Rolf Peterson and others on the Isle Royale moose and how the bounce between being regulated from above (by wolves) and below (by browse).

Yes! Even if wolves kill an X amount of moose in Minnesota. It's more likely that wolves are the proximate cause and other underlining health or habitat factors are the ultimate cause making them more susceptible to predation.

Yes! Even if wolves kill an X amount of moose in Minnesota. It's more likely that wolves are the proximate cause and other underlining health or habitat factors are the ultimate cause making them more susceptible to predation.

Bingo. I personally hope this reintroduction happens. Both for the moose and the overall health of the island. The wealth of information gleaned from this long running predator/prey study is fascinating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back