PEAX Equipment

MONTANA 630/632 Triple Crossing Reservior

Songdog3060

I'm hoping to be in there on a general license, hoping to be camping near the triple crossing reservior. Anyone here been in that area? Do the access roads stay open? are they gated? How is the reservior generally can I use it as a water source for camping? We plan to be hiking in south of the access road from the camp any reason I should not expect to find deer in that area? Wife and I are headed to Yellowstone in September. I'll have a day or two to scout 1 area........... hoping this is a it.

Roads should be open as long as it’s not raining. You could probably filter it but I’d just get jugs of water on your way through Glasgow. You’ll see deer.

Thanks Schaaf, filter for sure maybe just use the water to shower/ clean-up.

Road hunters bad in there?.................. we are hoping to hike passed them. thanks again, first go round on Mulies.

TC access road from Willow Creek road is gravel decent unless its very wet. All the 2 tracks off are impassible in wet weather.
Road hunting is as bad as it gets, people drive to where ever they can get to. Get a hill or two off the two tracks and you guys will have a great time, good luck.

Thanks Highwood,
We are certainly going to apply the necessary effort to get off the road. also may access the Russel refuge via boat from Ft. Peck. hoping to avoid the roads. We will be on the ground hunting for 2 weeks, hoping we could have some
"quiet" weekdays. Now We are from Michigan, Michigan pressure is probably alot diffrent. We have a gun hunter on every 5 acre parcel in the state.We sell about 400,000 hunting license a year!

Also: ANYONE please offer one piece of advice on "Western Hunting Etiquette" so I can avoid being "THAT GUY" like................" stupid non-resident, everyone knows not to do that!"

THanks again, everyone.

Also: ANYONE please offer one piece of advice on "Western Hunting Etiquette" so I can avoid being "THAT GUY" like................" stupid non-resident, everyone knows not to do that!"

THanks again, everyone.

Eh, Just come out and have some fun. Good luck on the hunt! I am hoping to draw a tag as well and head up to the breaks. If you need any general help, feel free to PM.

Thanks '32, I may ask for some advice or guidance on PM. Hoping the lottery can come through!

Songdog, Bring a chain or tow rope, seems everyone gets stuck or comes across someone stuck and also seems like there are helpful folks around if you need help. I've been pulled out and I have pulled a few out. You aren't likey to get help from town.
Don't rely on TC res for water, shallow and gets slimy with moss and cow crap.

THanks Highwood,
That is very good info. on both accounts. We'll not trust TC as any water source. Consider alternate Camp locations. Maybe boat down the river from Ft. Peck.

As I search and recon internet maps I'm growing more concerned about road hunting pressure.

I have this terrible image of a parade of trucks shooting every deer they see. Probably because tha's what I endure in Michigan I hope Montana isn't that way.

My wife and I are headed to Yellowstone in September we'll be driving through the North Shore Breaks for some scouting.

I personally wouldn't use any of the reservoirs in that area for a water source being so close to town. Just load up on water with 5 gallon jugs and refill in town when need be. You will not find many folks outside of their rig in that area. Bring a shotgun to Bird hunt. The pines rec area has a nice camping area run by CMR.

I personally wouldn't use any of the reservoirs in that area for a water source being so close to town.

+1

I'd have to be in a pretty desperate situation to start filtering one of those reservoirs.

Be mindful that the CMR has separate regulations from the rest of the area. Not only hunting but they also don't allow things like prairie dog shooting and antler collecting. They'll have regulations on their site before season starts.

I personally wouldn't use any of the reservoirs in that area for a water source being so close to town. Just load up on water with 5 gallon jugs and refill in town when need be. You will not find many folks outside of their rig in that area. Bring a shotgun to Bird hunt. The pines rec area has a nice camping area run by CMR.

You'll plug a filter before you get a quart of water filtered. Bring all the water you can and I suggest not bothering with a shower...bucket bath or baby wipes.

THanks Mt Hunter sounds like we may not want to be near there! for camp. We'll go bucket bath. I like to atleast think Im clean, for a day! well bring water in for sure. Hopefully run into a 4pt along the way, 24" about 140-155 overall? doable or am I dreaming?? I'll have about 9 days on the ground. Last week of October/ first week of november.

THanks Mt Hunter sounds like we may not want to be near there! for camp. We'll go bucket bath. I like to atleast think Im clean, for a day! well bring water in for sure. Hopefully run into a 4pt along the way, 24" about 140-155 overall? doable or am I dreaming?? I'll have about 9 days on the ground. Last week of October/ first week of november.

It is doable if you hunt hard and don't shoot the first buck you see. That is assuming winter kill isn't bad or weather is wet. Wet weather is your biggest threat your not going anywhere if it rains or snows and melts making roads wet.

Last year out in same general area , it snowed a bunch week before I went and then turned warm . Roads through the cmr were impassible until it froze a few nights just enough to get through for a few hours in the morning. My biggest fear about going to Montana is always the moisture it can f up a hunt like nothing else

Thanks everyone for your help:
Randy big 10-4 on the refuge I've been researching the seperate rules. which led us to thie:
Be mindful that the CMR has separate regulations from the rest of the area
1) is it better to hunt the two weeks in the refuge "early" or

2) hold out and hunt the pre-rut/ rut a little later in the season??

Found a few camp sites run by CMR probably a good bet we may be one of them....from the sounds of things. Bird hunting and fishing definatley on the schedule.. if tags get filled but we hunt pretty hard.

Everyone here has been a good help and I appreciate the responses with good information. as knowelge is power.

There are lots of big deep draws in the breaks, Scares off a lot of hunters when they think how tough it would be getting a deer out. So the few that don't mind the hard work there are some good mulies in the rough stuff.
Bone out makes the pack a lot easier.
I like hunting the breaks and will be there again this fall. I like the second week or later.
The deer are really bunched up. Snow is shrinking down and there is ground showing up on the South sides of the hills. Deer should be OK now. There has been significant winter kill in this area

There are lots of big deep draws in the breaks, Scares off a lot of hunters when they think how tough it would be getting a deer out. So the few that don't mind the hard work there are some good mulies in the rough stuff.
Bone out makes the pack a lot easier.
I like hunting the breaks and will be there again this fall. I like the second week or later.
The deer are really bunched up. Snow is shrinking down and there is ground showing up on the South sides of the hills. Deer should be OK now. There has been significant winter kill in this area

Highwood-
Thanks for the encouragement. Maybee I'm niave but we are going to take on the tough country to the limit"ish" of our abilities, safety first. Good to hear its beginning to let-up out there. For the first time in a long time we had winter kill in southern michigan. Not much but more than I've seen/heard in a while.

Thanks again Highwood for offering any knowelege and advice. Good luck this fall maybee we'll see you in town.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back