Cooler Set Up for Elk

Could always go with the deep freezer and generator, you can pick the freezer up on craigslist for less than $150. Got a few buddies that do it for their duck hunting trips to ND and Canada but they are also staying at a motel and not camping like I typically do for deer.

I can't get a boned out bull into one 150 quart cooler and have room for a sufficient amount of ice. I use two Coleman Extreme 150 quart coolers and they work just fine.

To everyone who replied to my original post, thank you. It never occurred to me to put my small honda generator in the back and to buy an electric chest freezer! Great idea.

You may want to check with the state wildlife agency's of states you will be passing trough on your trip. Many are cracking down on unprocessed game from CWD states. NY will gladly confiscate your meat and have you contribute to the state budget deficit.

The best solution for me has been the 165 quart Igloo from Costco for $95-99 that will fit an entire cow elk boned out with room for some wet ice during the week drained regularly for a good wet aging. On the trip home 10 lbs of dry ice will have you arrive with the meat too cold to process. I have 3 of them and take my gear in duffles inside the coolers on the way out. Hopefully on the way back I might need to put the duffles in heavy duty trash bags to keep them dry on the trip.

We haul a trailer and utv these days but I've hunted 3 gear heavy guys out of the full size truck with room for everything (did cheat and use a hitch haul for one cooler).

165 qt cooler will handle one cow elk for me with ice. Mainly its about the dimensions. The smaller 60-80ct coolers are not typically tall enough unless the quarters are boned out. I prefer to age on the bone as long as possible, but if they need to be boned out, then do it.

Rear quarters cut at the knees are typically at least 30" long, 14-18" wide and 4-6" thick. start with those dimensions and plan your cooler needs accordingly if you want to transport them bone-in.

I would go with a YETI Tundra 160, or 210. The 210 will help save space in the truck bed, as it is more of a cube shaped cooler. It will also keep Ice for weeks at a time if packed correctly. No need to rush it home or to the processor if you have more animals to go after, it will be fine at the trailhead for multiple days on ice.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back