Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Got me a Howa.

Jchiggins2012

Picked up a Howa 308 for 329 at sportsman's today. Figured it was a decent price.

It has the hogue stock. What upgrades should I do ? Ditch the stock maybe ?

Attachments

• IMG_20180316_022502.jpg
    IMG_20180316_022502.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 449
I'd shoot it first to see if I liked the stock before replacing it. But, a McMillan is hardly ever a bad choice for an upgrade.

I like my Hogue stock.

Stocks are a matter of personal opinion. I agree with Cush that Hogue on Howa is definitely better than factory low-end Ruger or Savage, but not as nice as Savage AccuStock, B&C or H&s. $379 seems like a very good price for that rifle new.

Nice find! I got a Gameking Package deal from Bud's a few months ago in 6.5x55 for around $450. I noticed one thing at the range with the Hogue stock. If I introduced some left or right lateral pivot, the forend would grip front bag and cause the stock to touch the barrel and I'd get an occasional flier If I wasn't paying attention to it (2 touching, 1 an inch or more off). You may need to widen the barrel channel if you encounter the same thing.

I swapped mine into Weatherby Vanguard takeoff stock that I shortened and added a cushier recoil pad for my nephews/wife/sister to use. That stock is full length bedded and solved the flier issue with the two loads I tried with both stocks.

Dang that's a good deal! Hogue is probably fine, but you could always consider Bell and Carlson or HS Precision.

Nice score

Yep, saw the ad for sportsman's and said screw it.

329 for a rifle that has great reviews is hard to pass up. I'm very familiar with 308 so I took it.

I seen alot of guys talking about 168g partition running great in them. I'm going to throw on a vx 3 or a Burris since I've had great luck with both on.

Stock seems a bit flimsy. But hell.

I cleaned it last night and it was suprisingly not gunked up like other out of the box rifles.

Action is smooth. Trigger could use some work. Just gonna pick up some ammo and give her a run

I don't break in barrels and never had an issue so I'm gonna go shoot it this weekend and see how she does

Last edited:
Nice find! I got a Gameking Package deal from Bud's a few months ago in 6.5x55 for around $450. I noticed one thing at the range with the Hogue stock. If I introduced some left or right lateral pivot, the forend would grip front bag and cause the stock to touch the barrel and I'd get an occasional flier If I wasn't paying attention to it (2 touching, 1 an inch or more off). You may need to widen the barrel channel if you encounter the same thing.

I swapped mine into Weatherby Vanguard takeoff stock that I shortened and added a cushier recoil pad for my nephews/wife/sister to use. That stock is full length bedded and solved the flier issue with the two loads I tried with both stocks.

Great info man. Seems very flimys. I got.thr money so I'm gonna order a alum bedded BC right now.

Back