Turkey hunting Nebraska: Pine Ridge Region

Glad that you had a great time. As a person that has hunted that area for close to 10 years I can tell you it is fun. Many birds are located in "particular areas". The more times that you go out there the more you will learn where they are located. They are definitely different from hunting eastern birds.

In relation to numbers... the big spring blizzard did more to hurt the population then anything else. Numbers are really coming back nicely.

good luck to all
the dog

bcar, did you hunt near the tower?
Lots of birds in other parts of Nebraska so don't give up. We've found private access fairly easy to get. Perhaps headed out in a week for our hunt. We always wait for later in May so they toms are not henned up. We've found good birds on the smaller public areas too, seem to be less people on the smaller tracts. Small town landowners are very friendly and accomodating I've found.
If it's not snow then heavy rain can be troubling too this time of the year.

wytex, is the tower that everyone talks about the tower that's right across from the state park on 385? We saw towers all over the place while driving around and every one we'd drive past we'd say "Maybe this is the tower they were talking about!" lol. We didn't hunt by the tower, but saw small group of birds running around down by the highway every day that we were there, and we drove around one evening on the back side of the tower where the public ground is.

To conclude the trip: 4 of us hunted 5 days and killed 3 birds. They were henned up really bad, would gobble on the roost and into the first couple hours of morning but wouldn't even shock gobble in late morning/afternoon. We called in a few other birds but they snuck in quiet when we were blind calling. Overall a good trip.

Congrats. I used to live in the area, lots of turkeys in NW Nebraska. Guess thats why they let you kill 7 per year with OTC tags.

I drove solo from birmingham alabama! 21 hours and 1400 miles. Staying and hunting at Metcalf WMA. Has anyone ever been here? What are your thoughts? Where do i start or should i move? Thanks!!

Should be birds there but I have never been. Keep your stuff locked up as sometimes you get some people up to no good passing through that area both driving and on foot.

My recommendation is to get up really early, grab a mcmuffin in Chadron, and drive 385 between chadron and job corps. lots of birds cross the road onto adjacent NF and state WMA land. Then loop around and take table rd over to Bordeaux back to 385. Lots of birds on that drive.

Also try deadhorse as there are usually some birds to be found over there, the folks at the sawmill can probably point you in the right direction and they have connections on places to pay for access if you decide to go that route. But be prepared, 9 kids between 20 and 40 all living in a shack with mom and dad. Girls are not allowed to leave the property. It's weird to say the least.

Hunted there a few times in the last 5 years and numbers were pretty solid. You will definitely have company on public land, but you can find plenty of area's with little to no hunting pressure. I typically go the first week of may and the toms are going strong.
My buddy and I are headed to Niobrara Nebraska hunting public land turkey, first week of May. Any idea what to expect?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back