Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

winter woody, project

squirrel

When a little button buck I had my .22 in the wagon and hit a huge woodchuck hole with the tractor

IMG_0282.jpg

and about 50 locust posts jumped into the air and came back down on my stock, snapping it at the wrist. I glued it but it broke several more times from not very much stress.

I finally made a cherry stock but f'd it all up as far as looks went. Last winter I set a goal of making a better effort at a replacement stock. While winter was mild I set aside some time and walked away about a million times as patience is not my strongest trait.

Anyone else here play at making a stock from a raw plank? What woods do you favor? Id never seen a cherry stock on a gun of any description before. My final hurdle is my brass but plate isn't fitting very well yet. I put myself in a time out as it was pissing me off, next blizzard it will get addressed.

I'm thinking of an Osage Orange stock for my SBL 45-70, green wood and stainless steel would be unique.

Some turkey calls I made in the long cold winter also.

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_3366 - Copy.jpg

Lookin good.
My absolute favorite is spalted maple and good figured walnut for a gun stock. I have made quite a few stocks for bolt guns but only one for a lever gun. Those lever actions are tuff to get fit tight and I don't plan to do another one any time soon.
That Osage orange is a little soft for my taste and not very interesting to look at, grain wise.
That cherry looks good. It will get more and more red as it is in the sun. If it gets sunlight on one side for way longer than the other you'll sure notice.

For never having done one I'd say you cobbled up a pretty good attempt. I've been piddling with a buttstock for an LC Smith and I'll mess with the inletting of the locks until my patience expires and will then put it away until I get bored again. Maybe someday I'll get to bird hunt with that old Elsie before cashing in my chips.

Well you must have a lot more patience than me. Nice looking turkey calls. Do you sell those?

Lots of "walking away" after removing a few splinters of interfering wood...

Sometimes Ive sold a few, given away a ton to friends/family. All are made from firewood chunks from various adventures i go on. Pinion really surprised me, good call wood. The southern red cedar is the best overall though, and easy to work on.

Looks great!

Two things about Osage Orange, if you choose to work with it: First, it's really heavy. Second, the color will change DRAMATICALLY over time. It will start out an electric yellow and gradually fade to a nice amber color, and eventually become very dark, almost black if it gets a ton of sunlight over many years.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back