Soon to be an Ex-Southern Californian

Gotta love Montana’s long general tag seasons.

9 weeks of archery, 11 weeks of rifle, Montana is a no brainer. They shoot the 3rd largest general season bucks in the west! Craft breweries around every corner, Sitka I think is based out of there, Kenetrek Boots, you name it they've got it. A grand an acre. No neighbors for miles, glass right off your deck, hell piss right off of your deck. Montana would be my first choice, probably Bozeman to be specific.

Welcome from a central valley transplant, best thing my family ever did was to move from there. Live in arkansas but north idaho has had my eye for a while.

Thanks Wyatt. Whereabouts where you in the Central Valley and when did you leave CA? The lady and I were looking at Oklahoma (her grandparents came from Olustee in the SW corner of the state), but ready access to large swaths of public land for hunting is really important to me, so most states East of Colorado are out. How is it for you guys in AR?

Madison Valley is nice, I know a good broker there who can hook you up. I hear the fishing is world class!

Madison Valley is nice, I know a good broker there who can hook you up. I hear the fishing is world class!

Thanks for the tip! We'll be sure to check it out when we head out there to visit this June. I'll PM you for that contact if we like the area. Much appreciated.

Thanks Wyatt. Whereabouts where you in the Central Valley and when did you leave CA? The lady and I were looking at Oklahoma (her grandparents came from Olustee in the SW corner of the state), but ready access to large swaths of public land for hunting is really important to me, so most states East of Colorado are out. How is it for you guys in AR?
Just right outside of modesto, about 1.5 hrs south of sacramento. We left in 05. For a southern state we have it pretty good public lands wise, not anything like out west but in total probably around 4 million acres, but they’re not spread evenly throughout the state, the majority of it is confined to the boston and ouachita mountains. Our only big swaths of roadless areas are about 15,000 acres in our wilderness areas, so more than enough to get away from us flatlanders but nothing like out west. If it were me i’d look at north idaho and western montana for western states, but you may want to look at western north carolina if you’re interested in somewhere in the south/east.

Welcome from somebody who grew and hunted SE Idaho before I moved to the big city! Stay in touch here.

Thanks, I certainly will! Much appreciated.

Just right outside of modesto, about 1.5 hrs south of sacramento. We left in 05. For a southern state we have it pretty good public lands wise, not anything like out west but in total probably around 4 million acres, but they’re not spread evenly throughout the state, the majority of it is confined to the boston and ouachita mountains. Our only big swaths of roadless areas are about 15,000 acres in our wilderness areas, so more than enough to get away from us flatlanders but nothing like out west. If it were me i’d look at north idaho and western montana for western states, but you may want to look at western north carolina if you’re interested in somewhere in the south/east.

Gotcha. I did some work a couple seasons ago for some customers in Oakdale and Riverbank just north of Modesto (I run a small-scale sheep shearing business). Have family near Stockton, too.
Nice! 4 million acres is nothing to sneeze at. Glad you guys at least have the opportunity. I'll look a little closer at Northern Idaho. We also have extended relatives near Coeur d'Alene that we have yet to visit, but I've seen pictures of their place. Looks like gorgeous country. Thanks for the tips!

It’s such a shame California is the way it is. Beautiful state. My aunt and uncle live in Lompoc and I love going out to visit them. My uncle is retired Air Force. I rent a bike or take my bike out and ride all over. Last time out my uncle gave me two custom made recurves he had made back in the 70’s. He hunted California and Alaska with them.

It’s such a shame California is the way it is. Beautiful state. My aunt and uncle live in Lompoc and I love going out to visit them. My uncle is retired Air Force. I rent a bike or take my bike out and ride all over. Last time out my uncle gave me two custom made recurves he had made back in the 70’s. He hunted California and Alaska with them.

Agreed. I do work near there each season and the hills are gorgeous up that way. Really is a shame.

Lompton? Gross...we used to play them in high school.

Lol. :D Love that nickname for Lompoc. Use it all the time.

Fantastic. Another Californian (San Diego) who escaped a while ago. North Carolina, Idaho, New York and Utah. Even some time in Panama. It feels awesome to get out. Idaho is incredible. Lived not far from Idaho Falls. Open country and salt of the earth people. Great opportunities to hunt and lots of trout in the Snake and all of the forks around there.

Although in complete honesty, there are still some things I'll always miss and remember with a lot of fondness about CA. Congrats on the new chapter and keep us posted.

Fantastic. Another Californian (San Diego) who escaped a while ago. North Carolina, Idaho, New York and Utah. Even some time in Panama. It feels awesome to get out. Idaho is incredible. Lived not far from Idaho Falls. Open country and salt of the earth people. Great opportunities to hunt and lots of trout in the Snake and all of the forks around there.

Although in complete honesty, there are still some things I'll always miss and remember with a lot of fondness about CA. Congrats on the new chapter and keep us posted.

Thanks for the kind words. I've heard nearly the same exact description about Idahoans from others who have lived/been there. Good to know, as that's my kinda people.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, there is a lot to love about California as a place. I'm sure I will always miss it in much the same way.

Quite a wide range of places you've lived. Where did you eventually end up? (or are you still a nomad?)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back