First out West Trip to South Dakota/Montana

YankeeHunter66

Well after watching Randy do it, I decided to take the plunge. I put in for a Montana and South Dakota. I have book a hotel in Buffalo South Dakota and I am hunting the state land in Camp Crook and in Montana I will be hunting Custer. I have 2 other buddies coming with me. Any advice would be great.

The first thing folks tell you New guys looking for help is something like this...
1) wolves cleaned that area out, crawling with cats and Griz moved in two years ago!
2) lots of local hunting pressure
3) too bad three hard winters in a row
4) and by the way...Heavy poaching being investigated.
I'd try west Montana, it's a lot better over there.

Just do your research, know the public boundaries and enjoy your time in the field. I can't speak for Montana but you'll see plenty of deer in that part of South Dakota. Locals can be pretty helpful if you get a chance to chat and don't dismiss the small parcels of public. You'll have a great time there for your first Western hunt. I know I did and I can't wait to get back out there.

that's ok, I am just pumped about coming out there, was in a very bad motorcycle accident last year and I told myself that I need to start doing these things before it's to late.

This will be a totally difference way of hunting for me, I used to hunting from a tree stand , so it going to be an interesting week

I considered doing the same, west river whitetail and MT general deer. Decided to go ahead and burn my deer points (all 2 of them) in CO instead, and stop back by my elk unit in Wyoming if I don't kill in October. I might do this trip next year.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I hunted the same general area in MT last year. Drove to the bar in Camp Crook to restock on ice after I shot my buck and ended up spending some time at the bar hanging out with locals. I dont think I ever even bought myself a beer, they'd just come sliding down the bar.

Very fun country to hunt. It was my first time hunting west of the Mississippi. We went 3 for 3 with our bows on respectable bucks. You will have a blast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back