Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New Back Pack

I love my MR Metcalf. Very comfortable and has an easy to use meat shelf. I bought mine from blackovis.com. if you sign up for for their email list they will give you 10% off your first purchase, plus free shipping. Its a good way to save a few extra bucks.

Oh I love the backpack forums, so many choices, if you want a light weight pack that's made in the U.S.A. and has a hell of a team behind it. That also has hundreds of testimonials behind it ranging from sheep outfitters in A.K. to forest service crews working in the back-country across the west and be one and done. Buy a Stone Glacier, don't eff around with some overpriced glorified Eberlestock that's called a Mystery Ranch. Ol P.A. needs to chill out. I've had many critters in the couple SGs I've owned and day in and day out you won't find a pack that will preform better with the weight class this is in. Save some mula and get it done one time! P.A. you keep on dreamin buddy when your play hunting in your backyard with your MR this fall. I'll be packing back into sheep country in September!

I have a Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 that I've used the last few years. Pretty decent pack, few things I'd change if I could. I just bought a MR Metcalf and will be trying it out this fall. Of those mentioned thus far, you likely can't go wrong, depends on the features you like, fit and your budget.

Tmvikings,

If you get up this way at all, just PM me and you can try out one of our EXO's. We even got some "mountains" to get a good feel for the pack. With packs try and many as you can and buy the best you can afford.

I currently am in the "I own a cheap pack that gets the job done camp" but I can tell you one thing from personal experience. While assigned to SOF my last 8 years in the Army our packs were a range of MR packs (you can see them on the website) and while not what I would call light, they are absolutely BOMB PROOF. JSOC and USASOC simply don't settle for anything less. Add to that their commitment to the hunting community and that will be my choice when I get the extra scratch.

Looked long and hard at the Metcalf, ended up going with a EXO K3500. Better pocket layout for me. Lots of great packs out there, just make sure you get one that fits you.

1C628AA3-E01E-45CC-B8EA-535B2004FEEF.jpg
I just picked up this pack. It hits the sweet spot at about 150,000 ci. for those longer trips, but compresses down nicely for day trips.

I have had several mid range price point packs. (Badlands, Browning.) I switched two years ago to Mystery Ranch and never been happier. I grew up hunting in Alaska with steel frame packs and my MR with the overload tray will allow you out haul those frames. I know Kifaru and Stone glacier make good packs as well. However I know Kifaru's warranty is only for the original owner. So if you every buy one used your SOL on any warranty. I think Stone has a true life time like MR does.

I would look at the new POP 28 by Mystery Ranch. It has a nice pocket setup and an overload tray. (And it won't break the bank!!)

In my opinion packs are like boots. The best one is the one that fits you. Only one way to figure that out and that's to try a bunch on and see how they handle weight.

Yep, try as many as you can. All the high end packs are outstanding, some just have features that suits some people better. Also, most of the high end packs are adjustable so you can customize it to fit your torso length. If a pack doesn't feel right, more often than not it isn't set up to your torso length and I'd be willing to make a wager some folks who haven't liked a particular high end pack just didn't have it adjusted to fit them.

I have a KUIU 1800 Ultra at just over 3 pounds is pretty light setup that works awesome for archery hunting. I have the 3000 bag I can swap out and carry more gear when I need to. It's comfortable and hauled a lot of animal parts with no issues for me. I also have a MR Longbow with the nice frame, which is more comfortable than my KUIU. But at 7 pounds I don't typically hunt with it and usually grab it for any second or third trips. I got my hands on the Popup 28 and I like the looks of that. Might be picking one of those up here soon.

Good luck.

I run an EXO 5500. My advice is call the company’s listed above. Ask your questions. Write down key points. This is what I did Ann based off my budget I ended up with the Exo 5500. Saying anything is the best is no way to assist you in your choice. Do the research. I love my Exo but to say it is the best for you does not help you. All the listed packs above are great packs. Research, call, choose. Good luck.

I've used a Badlands, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu Icon Pro, and now an Exo5500. I think I have found my preferred pack with the Exo. But really you can't go wrong with SG, Kifaru, Exo, Mystery Ranch, and maybe even a Kuiu. You just have to use what works for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back