Analysis Paralysis

Bmac1746

Hello,
Was excited to start hunting elk in the west but season starting dates and my job (teaching) do not match up very well. On to plan B. About 6 years from retirement, want to start building points in CO. I know several people there and with the amount of public land and elk seems like a good place to start. Narrowed down units to White River and Gunnison National Forest. Specifically 24,23,33 and 54,55,551.
Want to start with archery.

Questions: Is my strategy sound? Make sense?

If I apply for just points do I have to specify the unit? And what if I get the tag and can't hunt?

Any direction to the last two questions would be great. Getting frustrated trying to sort it all out.

Thanks
Mac

Welcome and congrats on the upcoming retirement. I'm still quite a few years out.

As to picking units and the ones you suggested it is definitely not a bad plan. It takes around 2 points as a NR to draw 24,23,33 vs you might pick up the 54,55,551 tags as a second choice and could build points while hunting those. If you don't get drawn then you could just hunt an OTC unit.

You don't have to specify the unit if you apply for just points. Just put preference point code in as your first choice (I think it is EP99999P).

The other guys can correct me if I am wrong but you can turn your tag in anytime before the start of your drawn season either for a refund or points renewed but not both.

Hope this helps and good luck.

So news this morning is CP&W is looking to raise prices also.
Get some PP in Wyoming also then you have choices when it comes time to apply.
I'm betting their prices will rise pretty close to what Wyoming has done this year, but we'll see .

Does your school get a fall break? I know a principal who goes west in October during this week.

Good.luck with whatever you decide, might also want to look at Wyoming.

Back