Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Idaho unit 16 selway river

Hoyt1994

I've been looking at the area around the selway river in unit 16 and noticed the elevation varies from about 2,000 feet to about 6,000 feet. What I'm not sure about is if Elk generally frequent lower elevations around the 3-4,000 foot mark? I'll be going in October for rifle season. Is it gonna take snow to get them that low or not? I'm guessing hunting pressure might affect it too, I dunno. Any help would be appreciated!

My philosophy is they will be as high as possible until something pushes them down.... And little snow wont do it

Elk are where elk are.... its not to sound like a smart ass but is truth. You can guess but until boots on ground or someone with actual knowledge tells you truthful info its just guessing. Have a scouting plan thats covers all multiple elevations and different cover types, flexabilty can be best plan. Oct rifle is idaho can get pretty crazy i would think the bulls have seen atleast some pressure. I would look for nasty spots at any elevation away from easy travel corridors, look at your map and think where do i not want to go and then go there! Good luck

Thanks fellas, sounds like great advice! I was hoping there's a magic number that they hang out at but I guess there's not.

There's no magic number. Higher seems to be a little more likely than not until it's well below freezing for a while or there's 1-2 feet of snow.

Back