Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

28 nosler load info

tvanbeb2

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and have done some research and could not find anything on the topic of 28 Nosler loads.

I just picked up a new Browning X Bolt in 28 Nosler. I was hoping somebody here has some ideas or actual first hand knowledge on some good 28 Nosler hunting loads. I prefer 160 grain and higher projectiles as this gun will be my elk/mule deer/antelope gun but I am open to any and all suggestions. I prefer Nosler products only because they have been very effective with me with my other firearms and there load data is spot on, but if somebody has some other magical projectile they use please let me know.

Thank you,

Teddy

Retumbo, RL33 or N570 if you can find it. I'd pick up some factory loaded ammo to break in the barrel and save the brass. Nosler 160 accubonds or 175 long range if you prefer Nosler.
I currently shoot the 195EOL with RL33 in my rifle.

I don't load for 28 Nosler but based on a lot of forum reading (winter has been long) I agree with cahunter805. Other powders to consider IMR8133, Ramshot Magnum, and H1000. RL33 seems to be just about everyone's go-to powder.

I saw a notice that Nosler was fulfilling brass orders for 28 Nosler so you might see it in stock.

I shoot 195 berger and 80 grains retumbo in my custom 28 nosler my oal is 3.600 but my chamber was cut for that length the load is very accuarte i got a 1 hole group that measured. 378 thats at out side of hole but the only thing i dont like is to me bergers dont seem to deliver shock like nosler do all the deer iv seen killed never just drop they run a bit but hopefully will see how the 195 berger does on elk this year in colorado

Thanks guys for the info its been very helpful for a good starting point. Yes I was a little leery of buying a rifle in 28 Nosler for the mere fact brass is not always easily found, but I guess that's common with new rounds. Thanks again guys for the help its much appreciated.

Teddy

With my Hells Canyon LR Browning X-Bolt using the 195 gr Berger I'm at 3.60" coal and 85.5 gr of RL33 with a .35" group at 100.

For those above who have the x-bolt 28 nosler, what are your experiences shooting the factory 175 gr accubonds vs. custom ammo? I am debating. I figure the factory ammo (which is a little higher quality coming from Nosler) will get me 1 MOA and custom ammo somewhere in the sub-MOA discussion. If so, I think I will stick with factory. However, I would love to hear any anecdotal evidence from those who have done both.

For those above who have the x-bolt 28 nosler, what are your experiences shooting the factory 175 gr accubonds vs. custom ammo? I am debating. I figure the factory ammo (which is a little higher quality coming from Nosler) will get me 1 MOA and custom ammo somewhere in the sub-MOA discussion. If so, I think I will stick with factory. However, I would love to hear any anecdotal evidence from those who have done both.

Easy way to tell. Buy a box and see how it shoots. It should be MOA or under. You would then have some brass to play with if you handload also.

Easy way to tell. Buy a box and see how it shoots. It should be MOA or under. You would then have some brass to play with if you handload also.

Yes, but that assumes I do my own loading. I wish I had that time.

I didn’t assume I said if. Either way I’d get a box of the Nosler factory and see if your rifle likes it. Sometimes the ABLR are finicky. If they don’t group to your standards the 160gr accubonds might be another to try before the custom route. Also many custom ammo loaders only guarantee MOA in factory rifles.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back