Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

DIY Sheep Hunt

Cmbrown337

One of my dream hunts is a DIY bighorn hunt or Dall Sheep. I am a DIY guy and want to go about it completely self guided. With this is mind where would be my best odds to start putting in for preference points? Also keep in mind I am looking for a place that has a lot of public land as it will be DIY.

If you live in Alaska or, better yet, Canada, you have options. If not, you don’t have any options for a DIY Dall Sheep hunt. DIY bighorn hunts are possible, but be prepared to go to your grave without ever drawing a ram tag. It’s grim but it’s the sad truth. Demand is just that high for ram tags. If you wanna hunt sheep and are willing to hunt a ewe, then a DIY bighorn is possible. Ram tags are hard to draw, though, especially if you’re just getting started in the point game. Neither Idaho nor New Mexico have point systems so I’d probably start there, but odds are still less than 1%. Good luck!

Last edited:
Unless you live in Alaska or have relatives there who can go with you (or Canada) you won't be hunting DIY for Dall Sheep. You must hunt with an outfitter by law. Sheep odds in the lower 48 are from bad in some states (ID and CO) to abysmal in others (NM and MT) to lottery type bad (UT). If you apply in 6-7 states for the next 25 years you'll still be lucky to pull a single tag. The odds are generally 0.3% or less (sometimes way less). It sucks to have the itch to hunt sheep, trust me I know. What sucks is when you hear of someone who beat the odds and pulls a tag their 1st year applying over a guy who's been putting in for 37 years with no luck.

One option I forgot to mention are the unlimited units in MT. Difficult hunts to say the least. Many exceptional hunters hold unpunched tags when those seasons end. If you’re coming from out of state, finding sheep in those units (and beating the locals who’ve been keeping an eye out all summer) is gonna be difficult. But, hey, you’re hunting sheep in gorgeous country.

I would say the same things as above. I apply in numerous states and hope I'm lucky enough to see a lower 48 tag once in my life. Dall your pretty much screwed unless your guided or have I think it's first or second kin in Alaska. My advise if your really young start a saving account set aside an amount monthly and go guided in Canada or Alaska. Probably the same price or cheaper after applying in lower 48 for 20-25 years and maybe still not get drawn. Sorry man it's how it is.

the odds are definitely not in your favor but if its a dream of yours i would first determine you budget to be able to apply in as many states as you can for bighorn. without knowing your budget i won't even give advice as to which states i'd look at. I have been lucky enough to draw in my home state of idaho but i still apply for sheep in CO, NM, AZ, UT, NV, MT and that costs roughly $1000 non refundable each year. if i a lucky enough to draw it will probably have cost me well over $20,000 to do so. Saving for a Dall sheep hunt is a very good option that if its something you really want...you could realistically save up in 5 years or less by making some small sacrifices. I also did that and worked hard and saved up and got my dall that way. I'm 34 years old and am just a measly government worker so any average guy can do it too. First thing you should do though is join the wild sheep foundation and their <1 club to try and win your first sheep hunt. many of the WSF chapters do raffles for dall sheep hunts as well and i'd recommend joining your states chapter or the one closest to you and support them with membership and raffle purchases. if it really is your dream(I find most people are lying to themselves about it being their dream) then you will hunt sheep one of these days.

good luck

The easiest way to hunt dall sheep DIY is to move to Alaska. Becoming a resident in Canada takes 2 years, and another 4 for citizenship. It's quite tricky to do either. Alaska is one year. Only citizens of the province cam hunt sheep. I don't know of any that allow non-resident or aliens to DIY, even with relaitves/host.

DIY dall sheep hunting in Canada pales in comparison the AK. Not even close. There are more Dall sheep killed from the highway system than all DIY dall hunts combined in Canada. It's just too remote, and zero air taxi service.

Others have covered the rest. Reality is, short of buying a hunt you will never hunt/kill either without moving.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info everyone. I kinda figured Dall Sheep would be out of the question. Does anyone know what the odds are for getting drawn for desert sheep? Are they better odds than bighorn?

Wow. I had no idea that was the case. Crazy

Its very surprising, but there are very few hunters in both the Yukon or NWT, both have a population of about 35-40,000. Access to sheep is very limited without aircraft, and only a handful are killed each year on foot from the highway. Very little to no Dall hunting in BC, and I think its by permit only. Residents take maybe 20-25 sheep a year in each province yearly. NR take about 200ish.

I've looked into moving to Canada in the past, to NWT and the YK. Both require 2 years to become "resident" to hunt sheep, then you have a bunch of hoops to jump through if you want to become an actual CDN citizen, and they have strict critiera for who they actually let become citizens. All the provinces that have sheep, as far as I know, require you to be a resident. None allow a residents to "guide" non-residents for sheep, and I don't think any have the next of kin rule like AK.

I realize that moving is a big deal, but getting to hunt sheep once in your life may be worth it? It was the main reason I moved here... :D

Thanks for the info everyone. I kinda figured Dall Sheep would be out of the question. Does anyone know what the odds are for getting drawn for desert sheep? Are they better odds than bighorn?

Even worse there are zero good sheep odds unless you chase aoudad aka(poor man sheep). It's high on my list

If it is an actual priority rather than just a 'wow I'd like to do that" move to a sheep state. Then you can have a real plan with objectives that do not involve powerball type of luck playing a role. Now which state is an interesting question.

The sheep game is a brutal one, its expensive, time consuming, and down right mind numbing when you get the ram sickness in your head. Dalls are out unless you got some pesos to throw at it or are a res. ID and NM are the only places you stand a chance to draw anymore seems like. The points game is just too many years in now. But, I know some lucky people who have drawn with minimal points and even 0 points.The Montana Unlimited tags are a great way to go on a long hike and camp with a 60 lb pack. In those units your looking for a unicorn at the end of a rainbow standing next to Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Less then a 2 percent kill rate in those units. But, it is neat country that's for sure. Good luck in wherever your diy sheep adventure tale you!

My father has max sheep points in CO as a non-resident and has been applying since the late 90's if I'm not mistaken. No dice. Went to HI last month and killed a mouflon. Or as someone else said, pay for a west TX self guided aoudad hunt. They're cheaper than a CO NR bighorn tag.

As you’ve seen from above post, the odds of you drawing a decent tag are against you. I understand that you are DIY, but if you are a non resident, there are things to think about. With your one and only sheep tag of your life, do you want to put everything in your favor to kill a sheep?
When I drew a tag a while back, I decided to hire an outfitter and kill a ram. It worked out.
If I ever draw again, I’ll probably go DIY.

Here is one option...and it may get some laughs...when I turned 22 I had 2 or 3 Montana sheep points. I decided I wanted to hunt sheep darn it and burned them on a ewe tag. I now have a shoulder mount of a ewe in my basement that brings back memories of my successful DIY bighorn hunt that is a precious memory. I now have 11 Montana points and will wait (probably until I die) for a ram tag....but I am ok with that. I got a sheep I am proud of. A ram from Montana, Idaho, Nevada , Colorado or Utah will be a bonus if I one day draw. But I have a sheep. Just a thought. Maybe join the 1/4 grand slam of ewes club!

Here is one option...and it may get some laughs...when I turned 22 I had 2 or 3 Montana sheep points. I decided I wanted to hunt sheep darn it and burned them on a ewe tag. I now have a shoulder mount of a ewe in my basement that brings back memories of my successful DIY bighorn hunt that is a precious memory. I now have 11 Montana points and will wait (probably until I die) for a ram tag....but I am ok with that. I got a sheep I am proud of. A ram from Montana, Idaho, Nevada , Colorado or Utah will be a bonus if I one day draw. But I have a sheep. Just a thought. Maybe join the 1/4 grand slam of ewes club!
No laughs here. I respect anyone who hunts and truly is happy with what they kill and enjoys the memories. That’s what it’s all about.

No laughs here. I respect anyone who hunts and truly is happy with what they kill and enjoys the memories. That’s what it’s all about.
Thanks for the kind words. It was a neat memory and worth a couple of points.

I think the cheapest way to hunt a Dall ram is the NWT. DIY and sheep hunting is very tough. I did sit it on a seminar and heard Brendon Burns of KUIU he did mention he's won two sheep hunts thru raffles, so if you have the extra cash to burn sheep raffles could be a way to go. I suggest if you're not a member of the Wild Sheep Foundation you should join and join the less than one club. You'll receive all the emails on there state chapter raffles. Also at the WSF show in Reno for the less than one club they give away 3-4 hunts a year !

Last edited:
I don't have the sheep bug, but I have chased them in ND and AB with a camera - seriously cool experiences. Would recommend anyone waiting to acquire a ram tag make at least one trip to sheep country to see them up close.

Back