deer in western colorado?

dan.kirkpatrick

this might be my year to pull a deer tag in western Colorado.was wondering how the deer are doing in units 21,22 10,30 ,31 or 40 areas?heard there was a major down turn in the area after 2008 and it hasn't recovered yet as of 2013?not much recent new info?have the deer numbers and quality recovered to burn 8 points on a 2nd rifle tag?

not looking for honey holes,,just wondering if the deer have recovered to a decent level in the last couple years,,,i know gunison area is down ,but this is north a bit and close to the Utah border?

Winter has been very mild, moisture, or lack there of, is a concern. I'm not sure what you mean by recovered. Deer haven't been what they were for a while now, but buck hunting in CO is still better than most other western states.

Of the units you mentioned:
- 10 takes 16 points for a 2nd rifle NR tag.
- 21 is probably your best bet bet for the units you mentioned. It's the co side of the bookcliffs. You'll probably draw it, unless point creep gets you.
- 30 is good, but it only takes 2 pts to draw.
- 22 and 31 can be good, but they are OTC elk areas and only take a few points.
- I'd cross out 40 unless you have private land access.

Hope this helps.

Also, I wouldn't be so quick to strike out the Gunnison Basin. I would still rather hunt the Gunnison units over the other units you mentioned. I'm moving to that area in 2 weeks, and plan on shed hunting when I am legally allowed to do so.

good to hear,,unit 21 2nd season is a area im most interested in out of the units or unit 22.heard access in unit 40 is tough for general public to get at?

As mentioned before, Gunnison got hit pretty good last winter but its been a pretty smooth year this winter.... Not to many units in my opinion not worth burning points on in Colorado. You'll find good bucks in almost every unit, just need to put the work in!

Back