Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Old age

Mudranger1

So in my advancing age my eye Dr today proclaimed I need glasses. So my question is for the bowhunters out there. I've never been one to shoot with my sunglasses on because of seeing the frames when looking thru the peep. Other than contacts what are some suggestions

Thanks,
Cliff

I hate wearing my damn glasses but when I shoot it's a must. Might look into getting a wider frame.

Last edited:
How about lasik eye surgery? I had it done over twenty years ago and have no need for glasses and it is much more affordable now than it was back when I had it done.

I had lasik done on my eyes two weeks ago. Definitely looking forward to this hunting season not worrying out glasses or eye care when camping for multiple days.

If Lasik isn't an option (for me it's not, vision too wonky), then I'd go contacts. I hate using binos with my glasses, so I usually wear my contacts. For the times when I have to wear glasses I got a pair with oversized lenses and heavy duty frames.

Contacts aren't always a viable option when you're out in the woods for days and weeks at a time. Care for them can be a pain in the ass and if one tears you're screwed.

Definitely depends on the individual and that product. My dad had hard contacts and had to take them out every night, that said he did tons of multi-day backpacking trips. I have soft contacts and can sleep in them for weeks straight, (per my optometrist) my wife uses dailies and just tosses them every night.

I've had contacts since I was 12 and have no issues putting them on/taking off without a mirror in the dark, but if I was getting them as an adult I would seriously consider dailies for car camping and contacts you can sleep in for backpack hunts. Carrying high quality eye drops is key, as is getting contacts now and giving yourself 5-6 months to get use to them before hunting season.

That said there are lots of people whose eyes just don't deal with them well and something like what Cushman recommended is probably the best idea.

I’ve worn contacts forever, and now that I’m over 50 the close in vision is getting tougher. I have the Lancaster peep sight that John Cushman notes and it really helped see the pins clearer. My buddy emailed me and said that sunglasses with readers built in made tying knots out fishing much better on a trip to Alaska last year. I’m starting that search now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back