CO Preference Points?

mdunc8

Does Colorado no longer make you front the money for a tag to buy a preference point? I think I bought mine today, but I wanted to make sure I didn't screw something up.

Does Colorado no longer make you front the money for a tag to buy a preference point? I think I bought mine today, but I wanted to make sure I didn't screw something up.

Nope sure don't.

I got charged $13 for my preference point for deer, I’m assuming there will be another charge? Anyone know what it will be?

Just so everyone knows.... read everything!
If you do not buy a small game or fishing license, you'll be charged $40 for each species you bought a point for......

"PREFERENCE POINT FEES
▶ HOW IT WORKS. If you do not hold an active 2017 annual* or big- game license, or do not receive a license through the draw for the species, you will be charged $40 PER SPECIES (for deer, elk, pronghorn and bear), for which you get a preference point. This fee applies to residents and nonresidents, except for resident deer or pronghorn: Residents getting deer or pronghorn preference points will be charged only $30 for each of those. For example: If a nonresident (who isn’t exempt from the fee) receives a point for all four species, they will be charged $160. A resident would be charged $140.
▶ HOW TO AVOID IT. If you don’t want to pay the fee, you have until March 31, 2018, to purchase a 2017 annual fishing, annual small game, annual resident combination fishing and small game, or resident senior fishing license. Customers are also exempt if they"

Last edited:
Hopefully we can soon match Utah's madness and have 4000+ NR applicants for a unit 44 3rd season deer tag. Won't that be nifty.

SO I am probably one of the many getting into the CO points game. I understand if you don't buy a fishing or small game license you will be charged $40 per species for a point. But why do they make you buy a habitat stamp with a fishing or small game license, then another with the first big game animal you are applying for a point?

Just so everyone knows.... read everything!
If you do not buy a small game or fishing license, you'll be charged $40 for each species you bought a point for......

"PREFERENCE POINT FEES
▶ HOW IT WORKS. If you do not hold an active 2017 annual* or big- game license, or do not receive a license through the draw for the species, you will be charged $40 PER SPECIES (for deer, elk, pronghorn and bear), for which you get a preference point. This fee applies to residents and nonresidents, except for resident deer or pronghorn: Residents getting deer or pronghorn preference points will be charged only $30 for each of those. For example: If a nonresident (who isn’t exempt from the fee) receives a point for all four species, they will be charged $160. A resident would be charged $140.
▶ HOW TO AVOID IT. If you don’t want to pay the fee, you have until March 31, 2018, to purchase a 2017 annual fishing, annual small game, annual resident combination fishing and small game, or resident senior fishing license. Customers are also exempt if they"

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought my 2017 annual fishing license with 3 days left of the season.... Better to pay $56 dollars instead of $160.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought my 2017 annual fishing license with 3 days left of the season.... Better to pay $56 dollars instead of $160.

I get that part, what I was questioning is the two $10 habitat stamps they are making you buy? I figure one is for the 2017 license and the other is for the 2018 draw. Even though you arent getting any tag in 2018 is why I was questioning.

WY you don't have to buy the stamp until you have successfully drew a tag or bought one. I'm not complaining about the extra $10 as this option is way cheaper then the $40 per species, just curious.

I get that part, what I was questioning is the two $10 habitat stamps they are making you buy? I figure one is for the 2017 license and the other is for the 2018 draw. Even though you arent getting any tag in 2018 is why I was questioning.

WY you don't have to buy the stamp until you have successfully drew a tag or bought one. I'm not complaining about the extra $10 as this option is way cheaper then the $40 per species, just curious.

You have to buy ONE habitat stamp per license year (4/1 -> 3/31) if you purchase any fishing or hunting license or a draw application (except for a one-day fishing license). So - you are correct that if you are purchasing before Sunday, one is for 2017 liense year (fishing) and one is for 2018 (the upcoming draw). Next year you would only need to buy one stamp.

thanks for the heads up guys! Bought my license and then my PP.

Question for my bud, if you are buying an OTC license in 2018, does he still have to buy the 2017 license then his PP to get the reduced cost?

Question for my bud, if you are buying an OTC license in 2018, does he still have to buy the 2017 license then his PP to get the reduced cost?

Depends when he buys his OTC license, you have to put in for points by the draw dead line but can buy OTC tag after.

Depends when he buys his OTC license, you have to put in for points by the draw dead line but can buy OTC tag after.

right but if he buys his points now at $3 a pop or whatever they were, and he buys his 2018 License prior to when they wack the CCs for the $40/tag fee is he not going to get hit?

right but if he buys his points now at $3 a pop or whatever they were, and he buys his 2018 License prior to when they wack the CCs for the $40/tag fee is he not going to get hit?

Yes. The CO 2017 license season ends March 31st. The draw deadline is April whatever. You need to have held a license for the year prior (i.e., 2017) to get the reduced costs for points in 2018 (i.e., this upcoming draw). If you do not purchase a license for the 2018 season, which ends March 31st 2019, you'll be paying the extra fees for preference points in the 2019 draw.

Make sense?

Yes. The CO 2017 license season ends March 31st. The draw deadline is April whatever. You need to have held a license for the year prior (i.e., 2017) to get the reduced costs for points in 2018 (i.e., this upcoming draw). If you do not purchase a license for the 2018 season, which ends March 31st 2019, you'll be paying the extra fees for preference points in the 2019 draw.

Make sense?
Well I screwed that up. I bought a 2018 small game license then applied for points. Looks like CO is getting a bonus from me this year! Guess that's what I get for being in a hurry or reading close enough.

Make sense?

Clear as day, thanks!

You have to buy ONE habitat stamp per license year (4/1 -> 3/31) if you purchase any fishing or hunting license or a draw application (except for a one-day fishing license). So - you are correct that if you are purchasing before Sunday, one is for 2017 liense year (fishing) and one is for 2018 (the upcoming draw). Next year you would only need to buy one stamp.

Now I'm confused. I just bought points this year. I bought the 2017 Fishing license and a 2018 Habitat Stamp. Did I do this wrong? Can someone confirm?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omcqueen
Back