Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Eastman's MRS

The Hedgehog

Does any body else need to use 3X readers, along with an electron microscope to read the MRS section? I realized after straining the look at the fine print, it really wasn't valuable, other than the laugh factor (for MT at least).

Eastman’s is definitely a joke. I almost feel bad for those people that don’t know any better and consider that a valuable resource.

I stopped my Eastman’s subscription years ago. Pretty worthless magazine.

When I first started hunting out west I got the subscription. When the second year rolled around and it was the exact same information (with the same grammar and punctuation errors) as the previous year I almost cancelled but figured I liked reading the hunting stories. This year with the NM charts being unreadable and not even printing a statewide map of the chip colors and printing the total B&C entries instead I am no longer going to subscribe. The stories about how "I can't believe I drew this coveted tag...I scouted all summer until I found him...and as time was running out I finally found him...all my dreams had finally come true...i want to thank my forgiving wife/girlfriend..." have finally made it so I don't even enjoy the stories.

As a side note, it's interesting that Eastman's and Western Hunter published the same photo from the Ryan Lampers mule deer hunt.

Eastman's only care about trophy hunting and the best of the best units.... They really don't care for Montana... Just my opinion!

It's a joke. This is my last year subscribing. It's the same b.s. year after year. They pretty much copy and paste from the previous years.

Glad to hear that everyone else along with myself thinks that Eastmans sucks the big weenie! When they went digital several years ago it really got bad and Guy banned me from posting on their website after I filed a complaint with the AG in Cheyenne on behalf of a dozen members for cheating us out of our money for the MRS and then asking for more money. Guy refunded my $40 and in a letter with the check said I was banned for not fitting into the Eastman way, whatever in the H that means, LOL!

I’m not bashing the magazine or Eastman’s- just the unreadable micro font on tables full of weirdly inaccurate and misleading info.

I don't find the MRS particularly useful, but I enjoy the stories sometimes. For $20 for both on digital, I tend to subscribe. I don't have issue with font size on the digital.

There is also an OnX layer for them.

I’m not bashing the magazine or Eastman’s- just the unreadable micro font on tables full of weirdly inaccurate and misleading info.

Yeah, I'm not sure if they proof read that stuff. Seems like it should have been an easy catch? Some of the charts were HUGE and others so small you couldn't read them.

Oh I like the magazines, though I don't use the MRS info. I admire their dedication to family and the work they've put in, maybe I'm just a sucker. I also like Brian Barneys podcast. I think Eastmans does a pretty good job feeding the dreams of a lot of ordinary people, And for that I give them credit.

The print in the tables is pretty tiny. I never read the Montana Deer and Elk section because NR tags there are too rich for my blood. What information do you usually take issue with? For Utah, the most mystifying portion is the trophy quality column and the overall rating. I'm not sure how they arrive at these. For example the Utah general deer units seem to be wildly overrated, looking at the table you would think they were as good as the limited units even though there are 10x as many hunters and much lower buck populations. By far the majority of deer taken in these units are yearlings. The write-up gives a much more accurate of the general units than the table. I do find the success rates, public land % and draw odds useful (though I usually check state published information to verify that they are correct).

A few years back Eastman's sent me a notice to renew. On the notice they advertised that I would have access to their online MRS. A few weeks after I renewed my subscription they said I'd have to pay extra for the online portion. When I asked them about it, they basically said "too bad, so sad." I won't give my money to a company with that level of integrity. I read my hunting stories here and do my own research. The only real value I see is knowing which of their picks are "blue chip units" so that I can avoid them.

A few years back Eastman's sent me a notice to renew. On the notice they advertised that I would have access to their online MRS. A few weeks after I renewed my subscription they said I'd have to pay extra for the online portion. When I asked them about it, they basically said "too bad, so sad." I won't give my money to a company with that level of integrity. I read my hunting stories here and do my own research. The only real value I see is knowing which of their picks are "blue chip units" so that I can avoid them.

I believe you were one of the dozen Eastman members that I filed that complaint to the AG in Cheyenne for about that boondoggle and then got banned from their website for telling them what they were doing was not kosher and needed to be corrected for all of those that had paid good money and had been shafted. Then Guy sent me that $40 check with the letter that I referred to in my post #9, but didn't reimburse any of the others listed on the complaint to the AG. They got away with it and told the AG the matter was taken care of. I contacted the AG a second time and told the attorney it hadn't been and that Eastmans had bilked members for thousands of dollars and never heard another word from him!

Top gun- I sure hope Guy recommended that you get a life in response to your AG magazine subscription sniveling.

But - back on topic, the funny micro MRS section for MT. I didn’t really read much into it as it’s so small. Did notice that Bridger mtn goat hunt was ranked as B for opportunity, D for access, and F for terrain. Also noticed Every single sheep unit in MT received an overall “F” ranking. Haha. Good info - I’m sure everything else is spot on and worth the $20 bucks or whatever that crap costs.

When I first started hunting out west I got the subscription. When the second year rolled around and it was the exact same information (with the same grammar and punctuation errors) as the previous year I almost cancelled but figured I liked reading the hunting stories. This year with the NM charts being unreadable and not even printing a statewide map of the chip colors and printing the total B&C entries instead I am no longer going to subscribe. The stories about how "I can't believe I drew this coveted tag...I scouted all summer until I found him...and as time was running out I finally found him...all my dreams had finally come true...i want to thank my forgiving wife/girlfriend..." have finally made it so I don't even enjoy the stories.

As a side note, it's interesting that Eastman's and Western Hunter published the same photo from the Ryan Lampers mule deer hunt.

LOL, that is so true about the stories. So cookie cutter. One thing you missed was that dad/father-in-law/brother had a medical emergency and couldn't go on the hunt/hunt time was cut short, etc, etc.etc.

Top gun- I sure hope Guy recommended that you get a life in response to your AG magazine subscription sniveling.

But - back on topic, the funny micro MRS section for MT. I didn’t really read much into it as it’s so small. Did notice that Bridger mtn goat hunt was ranked as B for opportunity, D for access, and F for terrain. Also noticed Every single sheep unit in MT received an overall “F” ranking. Haha. Good info - I’m sure everything else is spot on and worth the $20 bucks or whatever that crap costs.

So it appears you feel that consumers should be bilked out of thousands of dollars, which is exactly what happened to all the subscribers that got shafted like Nowiser and I have mentioned?!!! It got so bad on the website that besides banning me from posting that Reekers was also deleting many posts by members that were complaining trying to keep the boondoggle quiet, while in the meantime their advertisements were like Nowiser mentioned that continued to screw new members with their false advertising! Nowiser mentioned the word integrity in his post and that is certainly a word that Guy and their company need to look up because they sure are lacking it!!!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back