PEAX Equipment

Moose where to start?

Im from the east and obsessed with archery elk. I've hunted CO and WY. That's my plan for the next few years but would love to do a moose hunt in the future. Im just not sure where to begin. Im a average person that has to save to do my annual elk hunt. I can't afford a guided hunt and would rather diy even if i could. The area i hunt in CO has a healthy moose population but gives no non resident tags. I have no points for moose anywhere. Where should i start to build points to have a realistic chance of archery hunting in the next 10 years or so? Or is moose more of a guided hunt you have to spend 5k on? If so probably not in the cards for me. Thanks

Canada.... go there. 5000$ would get you a decent hunt.

I struggle to think you can get a moose tag up here(Canada) for around 5k............???!!!! I would say forget about it or maybe move?

I struggle to think you can get a moose tag up here(Canada) for around 5k............???!!!! I would say forget about it or maybe move?

LOTS of guided hunts up there for 5K or less, especially further east. Granted you'll probably be over that with transportation, tag, etc.

No, there are endless opportunities. I did a fly in on a lake in North western Ontario last October for 3000$ unguided including the tag, what regs are you reading. Plenty of tags in Canada

Ya. I just chuckle when I see guys paying 20K for a moose hunt in Alaska. lol

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try for CO since it won't cost you much out-of-pocket, but odds are you will never draw. I think WY and MT are not worth it unless you already have a bunch of points, even then it's questionable. As others have mentioned, in the lower 48 ID is probably your best bet, but you will be out ~$160/year just to be in the drawing. The 10% statewide quota does make it hard to figure odds if you look at the raw data. Toprut.com has the draw odds for ID moose and they claim to account for the quota. If you choose right you should be able to draw a tag in 10 years or so, hopefully sooner.

Last edited:
I've been dreaming of a moose hunt one day and this thread definitely reiterates my thoughts of going to Canada. If anyone on this thread knows a good outfitter I'd appreciate it if you PM'd me

I used showwalters fly in resorts....really nice guy, great service. I saw ZERO moose in 6 days, lol. That's hunting I guess.

I would take the advice of the guys on here and look to Canada. It's sad that with our PP system you probably would never draw a Wyoming tag but we do have random tags drawn every year so there is a chance if you apply.
As residents we have been very lucky in drawing 3 moose tags between the 2 of us and spouse should draw one in next year or two. We play the points and look to areas that we can draw instead of just applying for the best areas.
I've heard lots of good things about hunts in Canada and some not so good things also. Do your homework hunting up there. At least if you ever draw a moose tag in Wyoming , Colorado or, it sounds like, Idaho you would not need an outfitter. DIY is very rewarding on animals the size of moose.
Those are very nice bow harvests, congrats !!

I'm going on a drop camp AK moose hunt this fall. I figured by the time I got enough points built up to go anywhere in the lower 48 I'd be to old to pack a moose so I just saved up for that. I booked it back in 2015. I have been applying in less states all the way around and saving the money toward the moose hunt and then a Sitka blacktail and caribou hunt I hope to do in the next decade.

If you want to do a hunt anytime soon I'd say head north. You can save enough money to do it by putting a little away a month. Alaska you can do a DIY hunt because that state does not require a guide but you will need some cash to do it. In all reality, by the time you play the points game in the lower 48, you probably could afford a Alaska trip. Canada is always an option and a great one at that but you need to go through a outfitter if you are not resident.... This will cost a little more but you can still DIY with a drop camp through an outfitter. If you still want to play the points game in the lower 48 or the luck of the draw, then check out this Moose Hunting Overview, which will give you a good over view.

If you want to bowhunt moose save your application dollars and book a hunt in NF. Lower 48 draw odds for moose are abysmal. The best of the bunch is Idaho and even there you shelling out 160 a year for long odds.

I put in for NH, ME and MT and occasionally ID. I grew up in NH so hope to draw back east someday...13yrs in the east after screwing up and getting back into the draw and its not looking good. Max points in MT...put in off and on in ID too. Idaho requires purchase of a Non resident hunting license to apply..then another $2100+ to apply/tag ...By the time u calculate all the fees just to draw a moose tag then add in licenses and the cost for airfare etc. Paying for a hunt while your young is much smarter. Ive got several grand into trying to draw a tag already. LOL

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back