MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho Archery Elk Hunt Falll 2018

Griz are few in the area and DNR will say none are there. The tracks and the stories about the problem bears from Yellowstone finding their way there say differently. In thirty years of hunting the area off and on I've only seen tracts. Have been face to face with a couple of Cats, so carry a side arm. Fishing is great!! I plan to go back for gun season this year, but will only be deer hunting. You'll love the mountains except for walking uphill through the alder thickets, which is almost every direction!! Idaho is an Indian word for "UP THERE!!"

I think there are many better places which are just as scenic than Lolo but good luck.

Tags are bought already so i guess it is what it is. Ive been chatting with the biologists in the area and they've told me that if were willing to put in the work we'll do fine. Even if we don't get anything we will still have a good time

I'm pretty sure you can still exchange until the hunt starts. Biologists come in all different personalities. Unless they point you to a spot that they've seen elk--and be wary because they probably do this for everyone--talking up their area doesn't mean much. Look at the population data and how they're divvying tags. The Lolo is hurting but may be recovering some from the high predation.

You could have an amazing hunt there of course.

Be a hunter and you will be fine.... if your not seeing elk or FRESH elk sign move, because the elk are not going to miraculously show up... LOL. Especially if you have never hunted there before. I've found elk on the first and on the 5th day, just keep moving till you find them and stick one right behind the shoulder.
Matt

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back