Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

ALPS Commander X and pack. Anyone have any experience with this system or brand?

bzb_1

Anyone have any experience with this system? I am able to get one at half off. I have no (absolutely zero experience) in backpacking or backpack hunting. It seems like a nice set up to me I know just from reading here and other forums that they are not one of the more popular brand.

I looked at them prior to my first elk hunt but didn't go with one based on the opinions from others as well. Depending on how far you are going and the loads carried will determine whether or not it will work. Probably not terrible but better economical systems out there. Everyone will say go with kifaru, exo mountain, stone glacier and mystery ranch. All great packs. All fairly spendy unless you find one used.

I have 1 and use it every year. While it is a little clunky it will haul as much as you can carry
20171217_174514.jpg

I have one and got the same deal! I have not used it yet. It's a little big for day hunts. I may buy the hybrid x in June when it comes out. It's smaller and still carries meat the same way as the larger commander x . I may even get a mystery ranch pintler before I go this fall.

blacksheep

I have had mine for 5 years now and have carried multiple elk and deer with it. The only real negative to me is that it is a bit clunky/noisy as noted. That being said, I got the bag and pack combo for under $100, it comes with a bunch of nice little extras and has a great warranty with very responsive customer service. There are definitely better packs but I would say you would be hard pressed to get a better value for hauling meat. As far as using it for actual backpacking, I would use something else.

I have one the frame style as shown above..

It KILLS my shoulders.

Having said that I have hauled out a lot of stuff with it.

I would like to try the one that you have a link to.

Anyone have any experience with this system? I am able to get one at half off. I have no (absolutely zero experience) in backpacking or backpack hunting. It seems like a nice set up to me I know just from reading here and other forums that they are not one of the more popular brand.

I've looked into these as well. I just can't drop 500 bucks on some of the other brands to use 2 weeks a year. Care to share how your getting half off?

I used the Commander X in 2016 and it works great for the price point. I used it as a day pack, weekend pack, and meat hauler. It did everything one needed. It is fairly boxy which makes it hard trying to navigate through tight timber.

I about the ALPS Extreme pack from someone on here last year and it was much better. Much smaller frame but able to tote big loads comfortably. It works great for a day pack, full week pack, or meat hauler.

21740290_10155609423355539_2225161234917951856_n.jpg

21462322_10155609423440539_1056004834516151752_n.jpg

I have one, got it for Christmas. I have yet to use it hunting, but I use it trapping, it has packed 78 lbs of beaver out of the woods one trip 2.5 miles one way through the snow. It handled the load well but I have never experienced a higher end pack. The hip belt got a little uncomfortable from the weight towords the end of the heavy hike. I have used it all trapping season which I target beavs, and is typically hauling at least 30 lbs out. Now am using it for maple syruping to haul full 5 gallon buckets of sap farthest tap set is 1.5 miles. It does what it needs to do, not terribly uncomfortable but I also bought it as a meat pack not a day pack (I have there internal frame for that).

Sorry for my mistakes earlier. I used the Commander in 2016 (Shown below). It was the one that was more boxy but did a great job loading meat. I bout the Commander X from someone on here and it is the one pictured in my earlier post without the bag.

I loved the Commander X.

IMG_4693.jpg

I have the Alps Extreme Traverse X pack, and have used it extensively. I realize it's not the specific pack you mentioned, however it does handle quite a bit of weight and i found to be very comfortable wearing it mile after mile on long hikes and hauling weight. good luck with whatever you choose!

Back