Wisconsin First Elk Hunt

Awesome to see! Being allowed to hunt them will bring much interest to the growth and protection of the current heard!! Great for conservation, great for hunting, and great for the state! Glad to see it!

I don't know what to think... 200 elk with a moderately low herd growth rate and a recent introduction (granted these areas are off-limits). It's only 10 tags though and it certainly will generate a lot of hype. Plus the money in to continue to improve habitat and reimburse part of RMEF's efforts likely would offset the 10 elk (assuming we'll have higher success rates than western states?).

I guess at the end of the day, Kevin Wallenfang and RMEF know more than I do, so I'll take this as a success that our herd is doing well!

It's been overdue, but the plan was half assed from the start. We now after 30 years have what some states damn near did as a starting number. The CWD thing did stall it but still. I know a lot of politics played a role behind the scenes too.

I wish it was as good as the Turkey reintroduction went though.

That's awesome. Hopefully with the added media presence, more money will get dumped into growth of the heard. I would love to see an elk whitetail hunting from a stand.

Very awesome. I'm not from there but just very great to see wildlife coming back in any area. The introduction may have started slow guys just like here in Arkansas but it's a start. Support your game and fish and the RMEF and success will come.

Good luck to all who apply for a tag! Here in PA the season has been open for several years now and the elk herd is doing well.

Check out The Rich Outdoors podcast episode 211 where Cody talks with Kevin Wallenfang. They go into the details of how it got to where we are now. It's a great listen.
I couldn't get a kitchen pass from the wife this year to go to Colorado archery hunting, so I'm going to head up north and try my skills at calling in my home state of Wisconsin.

This 10 tag hunt will generate an insane amount of money, I just hope the state does a good job of managing the herd moving forward, and I pray that sometime soon we can whack wolves again.

If this does generate a lot of money, will they buy more elk? Will they put more up north, in the bear/wolve infested northwoods? I know elk like thick habitat sometimes, but I don't think the Clam lake area is best suited for elk, hence why the herd has grown minimally. I think the Jackson cty herd will grow, once they move out of the forest and find the surrounding Ag lands. They'll have corn, alfafa, beans and pasture land to graze to grow big and healthy.

It's been overdue, but the plan was half assed from the start. We now after 30 years have what some states damn near did as a starting number. The CWD thing did stall it but still. I know a lot of politics played a role behind the scenes too.

Politics....also known as the Agricultural Community. What...no Governor's tag??

A buddy of mine from work who lives on the wrong side of the river put in for himself and his son.

10 tags total and 6 of em go to the tribes. Nobody I know is all that excited anymore.

If this does generate a lot of money, will they buy more elk? Will they put more up north, in the bear/wolve infested northwoods? I know elk like thick habitat sometimes, but I don't think the Clam lake area is best suited for elk, hence why the herd has grown minimally. I think the Jackson cty herd will grow, once they move out of the forest and find the surrounding Ag lands. They'll have corn, alfafa, beans and pasture land to graze to grow big and healthy.

They'll have corn, alfalfa ,beans and pasture until the farmers complain. Elk can do a lot of damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back