Texas Aoudad hunt

wildaggie13

I just got back from a 3 day DIY Aoudad hunt for my wife this past weekend. We saw some beautiful rough country in west Texas that I have never seen. We saw plenty of sheep and had a blast glassing them from afar. Getting close enough for her to shoot one was a very difficult task, however. We learned a lot about these animals and what we need to work on in the future to be successful but it was a great adventure for the both of us again!! image1.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpg

Curious on area of the hunt, and did you pay a trespass fee? Sweet photos, looks like a really nice ram to!

If I don't draw in NM over the next couple of years I'll probably give it a go in TX. Might even do that anyway as the cost is that much different.

Had a friend do a NM DIY OTC hunt last week, hunted very hard and was only able to turn up a hand full in a week. He ended up killing a ewe on the last day. When i asked him if he'd hunt NM again he said no. He'd pay the money to hunt a trespass fee area in Texas to have a chance at a decent ram.

I have a hunt planned for this September in Southwest Texas... For sure a hunt I have wanted to do for a very long time.

Would be curious to hear how close you were able to get. The guy I am going with said if you can shoot 400 yards you won't have a problem. Assuming the wind isn't blowing, 400 yards isn't an issue at all. Would you guys have had opportunites at longer range?

Curious on area of the hunt, and did you pay a trespass fee? Sweet photos, looks like a really nice ram to!

I found a guy that has a 35000 acre ranch leased and I bought a tag from him bc he didnt have enough hunters on the lease. Ill be going back since he won't charge me until I kill one. Most deals aren't this good.

Would be curious to hear how close you were able to get. The guy I am going with said if you can shoot 400 yards you won't have a problem. Assuming the wind isn't blowing, 400 yards isn't an issue at all. Would you guys have had opportunities at longer range?

One time we got 200 yards but had to shoot fast and steep angle. Couple other times we had some small ones at 420. The large rams we saw were all 800-1200 under some cliffs with open terrain below them and now way to approach them. Property boundary was the top of the cliffs so I couldnt get above them either. They are very smart animals. It reminds me of a combo between a mountain goat and desert sheep hunt.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back