Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Spread sheet for keeping up with points

okie archer

I have been building points in various stages for various species the last few years but I just write it down in notebooks. I would like to be a little more organized. Would anyone be willing to post a pic of a spread sheet of how you keep up? Or offer any ideas on an organized way of keeping records.

i mean I may be under thinking it but I don't think you could really get too complex unless you incorporate drawing odds somehow, I guess it could get a bit complex when you have bonus points and preference points such as Montana and Utah. But then you could just have 2 columns for that species and put an N/A in the box if that doesn't apply to the state

Put all the states in the left column and the columns going out the right have species and put your point numbers in it. Are you an engineer per chance? lol!

State Deer Elk Pronghorn etc.........
Colorado 2 3 4
Wyoming 1 2 3
Etc...

Edit: It didn't hold my spaces when I made that fake table above

Capture.jpg

I do the above for the wife and I am all of my friends to keep track of everyone's stuff and just add rows for every species and group the states together.

Its simple and effective and necessary since I have about 20 places I am applying for points.

Last edited:
I keep a Google spreadsheet with points by state/species and the link to the site associated with it.

lvFaKLxl.jpg

Last edited:
Great information, JWill. Thanks for sharing.

I searched around their site for the spreadsheet they make available and it appears to be a paid service login to access. Is this correct? Not knocking them for making charge member programs to assist though wondering if that is a free portion they offer. It would be a good way to get more interest checking their site. Seems an outlet for Outfitter service. No problem with outfitters, from my perspective. An observation statement is all.

Is it a free service w/in or a paid membership perk?

$35/yr. I don't use the points portfolio, but easy links to find points for collection states. Poor mans GoHunt, which works for my needs.

Thanks for the replies. These are good ideas. It gets very complicated if you apply and/or purchase points in different states for different species. Not to mention trying to time it right with deadlines, results, and rufunds. Also the seemingly continual changes made by different states.
I started this about five years ago, keeping notes on the different systems for different states. I still don't have it all figured out. I am trying to narrow it down to short term, mid term, and long term goals. Applying for what I can afford in relation to realistic chances of getting drawn.

Last edited:
This is the one I created. I keep track of my points, which hunts I've applied for, and the odds for the top three units I'm looking at that year (though the odds are an approximation for comparisons sake)
hunttable.jpg

Great information, JWill. Thanks for sharing.

I searched around their site for the spreadsheet they make available and it appears to be a paid service login to access. Is this correct? Not knocking them for making charge member programs to assist though wondering if that is a free portion they offer. It would be a good way to get more interest checking their site. Seems an outlet for Outfitter service. No problem with outfitters, from my perspective. An observation statement is all.

Is it a free service w/in or a paid membership perk?

Paid, mtmiller pretty much covered it. They then plug in that number of points when you search units/draw odds. It used to be free and linked from this site, but times have changed :).

This is the one I created. I keep track of my points, which hunts I've applied for, and the odds for the top three units I'm looking at that year (though the odds are an approximation for comparisons sake)
View attachment 81027

Great spreadsheet Neffa I've got one of my own but I like what you've done there

How many states are you applying? I have a spreadsheet that is more of a database because I am adding in every specie in every state I am interested in hunting. The spreadsheet allows me to filter or put in order of cost, app dates, total points, etc.

It is not as pretty as say the way hunter’s trailhead shows your points but you can preview your data a lot of different ways. Say you want to look at all your elk points you can filter just by elk. Or maybe organize by the app due dates.

Just a few thoughts. If you are only looking at a couple states I would follow the examples above.

View attachment 81027

Neffa, it's not too challenging to create a free market app. A friend made a wildlands fire app and sold it for .99 . Made over $1k in a couple months then it petered off as more advanced versions were available.. Not sure what he made overall though it was simply time on his side to create the app.. If you know an IT guy that would find interest putting that together for ya, that is one I would easily toss a buck for.

Last edited:
I'm just a rookie at this point gettin' game but I have more spread sheets and information on my computer than anyone I know of..... I'm missing black bear points for Minnesota and Wisconsin on here but they are there. Quote from my wife last night, "how much of your day do you stare at maps and aerial photo's?".... "Including my job (fish biologist), probably 80% of my day".

BigGamePoints.jpg

I'm just a rookie at this point gettin' game but I have more spread sheets and information on my computer than anyone I know of..... I'm missing black bear points for Minnesota and Wisconsin on here but they are there. Quote from my wife last night, "how much of your day do you stare at maps and aerial photo's?".... "Including my job (fish biologist), probably 80% of my day".

View attachment 81032
Thanks for sharing that. Now I'm going to have to look into the options/access for hunting prairie chickens in MN... :D

I have a Word document I need to convert to Excel to record all the hunts I apply for. Then I have another Excel bar chart that shows each hunt's season dates. I use that one to minimize potential overlaps.

Neffa, it's not too challenging to create a free market app. A friend made a wildlands fire app and sold it for .99 . Made over $1k in a couple months then it petered off as more advanced versions were available.. Not sure what he made overall though it was simply time on his side to create the app.. If you know an IT guy that would find interest putting that together for ya, that is one I would easily toss a buck for.

Thanks Sytes, I'll take that as a compliment. I don't know anyone who could create an app and honestly I'm not all that motivated to make more money in general. I need to find a way to make more time though.

HEre's mine, fwiw. The format is new, I am still transferring all my info over to it.
points.jpg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back