Google Scouting Tips Wanted.

Has anyone used the "Show Viewshed" option? It comes up when you right click on a placemark. It hasn't worked for me in a few months so I'm curious on whether it is on my end or something else.

This works for me on placemarks around towns and populated areas. Seems when you get to the middle of nowhere (or even the edge of nowhere), this feature doesn't work at all...

Not trying to hijack thread but one thing that seems very helpful is the measuring tools. I try to judge shot distance with them. Anyone know how accurate the distance tool is? The straight line and ground measurements don't seem to agree when measuring across canyon.

I do want to add that trails are easy to see on open slopes. I have confirmed some good areas with this. Just make sure there aren't cows in the area :)

I used to map out my runs and mtn bike rides with Google Earth and check them with my Garmin GPS watch and they seemed to be VERY similar. Using Google Earth to check shot distance would be tought because the measured distance follows the topography. I just spent some time looking and don't see an option to do a straight distance ignoring the topography.

You have to set a point for it to work. I've only used it in the middle of no where.

Is there something besides a push pin placemark that works better? Cause I have trouble getting it to work in the mountains with this. It just does a solid green circle all the way around my pin. If I put a pin on top of the Hop-Inn in town, it works fine tho.

Is there something besides a push pin placemark that works better? Cause I have trouble getting it to work in the mountains with this. It just does a solid green circle all the way around my pin. If I put a pin on top of the Hop-Inn in town, it works fine tho.

I was getting the same thing until I turned on terrain and also reset my elevation exaggeration to 1

I think there are some data busts in the DEM as there are definitely areas where viewshed won't work, for instance I can't get a view shed to work at the Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado but it works great in Silverthorne and Silverplum just a few miles away on either side.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back