PEAX Equipment

Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

That's a great looking pup!! Congrats!! My dog's only a bit over 2yrs old and all this puppy pics are making me want another!

Love them! great dogs, looks great! They are less dumb than a lab in my opinion, they can be a little harder to train than other points like a german shorthair pointer

IMG_2794.JPG
Can't fix the sideways pic. Sorry.
Here's my 6 mo old WPG. She is my 1st WPG, as I've always been a lab guy. We wanted a large dog to be more inside the house and not have to deal with all the lab hair. So far sheds very little. When I brush her, about every other day, I get a small amount of "under coat" . The coat does pick up cockleburrs like crazy. I'm going to carry a scissors and brush in the field to deal with them. But does not shed even close to our previous labs. She seems to be very smart and is constatntly nose on the ground. Very birdie for her age. But isn't high strong like spaniels or other pointer breeds. Just puppy energy now. She appears to want to be closer, always in site to us when in the house, than compared to our labs. She's good personality and likes playing with my young neices. Doesn't show any aggression when they take away her toy or chewy. So very happy with our choice to go with a WPG.

We can't wait to get her home in eleven days. Both of our labs died unexpectedly about six years ago and I really have missed having a dog around.

IMG_1131.JPG
IMG_1132.JPG

Hi, not exactly a hunting question, but more a question about wirehaired pointing griffons: I've had one for a couple years. The last several months he intermittently puts out some terribly foul smells and I'm trying to see if any owners might have insight into this problem.

I've been around dogs my whole life and this seems above and beyond normal. Our vet ran stool samples and cleaned his teeth and expressed anal glands and it hasn't made a huge difference. We shaved his beard down thinking saliva was causing the smell. No luck. It seems to be ok sometimes and then for a week or two might be terrible. It seems to be from flatulence or burping, but I'm not totally sure. Only one other thought is that he's eating something outside that's causing it. But not sure. Any ideas or experience with this?

Hi, not exactly a hunting question, but more a question about wirehaired pointing griffons: I've had one for a couple years. The last several months he intermittently puts out some terribly foul smells and I'm trying to see if any owners might have insight into this problem.

I've been around dogs my whole life and this seems above and beyond normal. Our vet ran stool samples and cleaned his teeth and expressed anal glands and it hasn't made a huge difference. We shaved his beard down thinking saliva was causing the smell. No luck. It seems to be ok sometimes and then for a week or two might be terrible. It seems to be from flatulence or burping, but I'm not totally sure. Only one other thought is that he's eating something outside that's causing it. But not sure. Any ideas or experience with this?

Some just stink, the nature of the beast :) I've got one male that has a fairly strong odor, it gets worse in the spring and fall when females come in heat. they can smell an ovulating female from a very long way and it seems to trigger their scent gland.

A general rule is if you feed them a steady diet, pretty much the same thing every day, they have fewer gastric problems. Don't overfeed, a normal feeding cycle for a wild dog is gorge, sleep, hunt and repeat, it usually isn't a twice a day cycle.

I wash his bedding often and give him baths or swim him. You likely get somewhat used to it, people that visit really notice.

Try another food, Bosch makes a good dry food that seems to be good for allergies and gastric issues. Don't swap food all at once 1/3 rd new food 2/3 rd old food and increase over a three day period until the switch is complete. This will help avoid runny stool. A steady diet steadies their gastric system.

Many dogs really like rolling in dead stuff and rancid pee. :)

While I don't have a griffon, I have heard that an anal gland can become plugged causing a stink. Bring it to the vet and have them check it out. If it is that gland, they can unplug it for you lol.

This is "Rooster", the new addition to the family here in Juneau. He is a Pudelpointer out of Cedarwood Kennel in Boise. I have been amazed with his intelligence, and how quickly he learns.
IMG_0651.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back