Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

PoW Spring Bear - 2019

whiskeydog

Took us 3 years of trying, but my dad and I drew the PoW tag for spring '19. I'll have lots of questions later pertaining to logistics, but for now, we need to lock in where we are going to stay/hunt.

We're pretty sure we are going to book with one of the fishing lodges that will allow us to use their boats each day for the hunt and then outfit us with fishing gear to combine in some halibut/salmon fishing as time allows.

Right now, based on a few conversations I've had, we are leaning towards one of the lodges in Point Baker, but we've also looked at some in Thorne Bay and Coffman Cove. Any thoughts on one area vs another with regards to bear opportunity?

I too have this tag for 2019, and I will be following your thread, if you get a chance take a listen to the Gritty Bowman podcast from last year, those guys hunted POW and had success. As for me and my hunting partner, we will be basing our hunt around the town of Craig. I’ve heard good things about both ends of this island and from what I’ve read there really isn’t “bad” part of the island, we are just going to try and cruise the little inlets up and down the coast while we are there. Also form what I hear the timing of your hunt is critical for wither or not the bears will be rubbed, so you might take that into consideration. Good luck!

I too have this tag for 2019, and I will be following your thread, if you get a chance take a listen to the Gritty Bowman podcast from last year, those guys hunted POW and had success. As for me and my hunting partner, we will be basing our hunt around the town of Craig. I’ve heard good things about both ends of this island and from what I’ve read there really isn’t “bad” part of the island, we are just going to try and cruise the little inlets up and down the coast while we are there. Also form what I hear the timing of your hunt is critical for wither or not the bears will be rubbed, so you might take that into consideration. Good luck!

It will but also have in mind don't go too early or bears will still be in a den if winter hangs around late. I'd go 2nd 3rd week of May or so. We went 1st week one year and saw few very few bears.

Last edited:
It will but also have in mind don't go too early or bears will still be in a den if winter hangs around late. I'd go 2nd 3rd week of May or so. We went 1st week one year and saw few very few bears.
Yes I am afraid of that, we are planning to arrive about the 10th of May and staying 8-10 days.

I live in Ketchikan, was born in Craig and grew up in Edna Bay. The 18th will do you fine, the only thing i would say the time bears spring to life has a lot more to do with how hard of a winter we have then a set date. Even though the hard core bear hunters around her say May 10th. Best of luck on your hunt.

My buddy and I drew the tag as well. I will be up there in 2019. I have spent a lot of time on the island so if you have any questions about logistics don't hesitate to ask.

Congrats on drawing the tag! I drew a tag for spring 2019 as well. Who did you end up booking with? I have family on the island and I've hunted and fished up there a lot so I know a lot of the lodges on the island. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help as well!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back