Sell me a new Leupold optic

Addicting

I had the GR 15x30x50 and currently have 8x42 BX4 Pro Guide Binos. I used the GR out west for one season and sold it. There was not enough gain over my Binos for the hassle of having it for all the same reasons posted in the previous spotting scope thread.

Now, I am in the market for a new Leupold Optic either a GR 20x40x60 (HD?) or a new set of Binos BX-5 Santiam HD. I am not interested in other brands.

Reality is as my wife and kids are just getting into joining me on hunting trips, we will be doing most of our most of our glassing is from the road, house, or a mile or so from the trail head. I already have a good Leupold Tripod that we take with us for stabilization.

I like the idea of the spotter for looking up into drainages and picking them apart and being able to hook a phone skope up to it to take photos or video.

I like the idea of the binos because I only have one set and it would be easier to quick use verses setting up the tripod and will allow the wife to have as set she can use.

So for those of you who have used these I am looking for input on what worked for you.

Was the extra money worth it in the HD verses Non HD? IE: save the money on the spotter and just get her a pair of BX4s.

Thanks Tony

Shouldn't you be paying attention in class, SSGT?

Actually we were released before lunch. Now, I have a whole afternoon to figure out how to spend my future Perdiem Check, I have been PB&Jing it for the 6 weeks saving my money for my hunting budget.

I have the 20-40x60 GR spotter (non HD). I'm happy with it, there are better ones out there, but it does work good for me. I say get the spotter and then watch used ads or talk to schmalts about getting a set of binos for your wife/truck when $ allow.

I have the 20-40x60 GR spotter (non HD). I'm happy with it, there are better ones out there, but it does work good for me. I say get the spotter and then watch used ads or talk to schmalts about getting a set of binos for your wife/truck when $ allow.
THis. The Leupold Yosemite's are, IMO, much better than the price would indicated. I borrow the 6Xs I got my boys often for to use here in the midwest.

Take each outside and look thru without knowing which is which, if you can't tell which is hd why buy them? How do you like the BX4's? Apparently this is not covered by the famous Leupold gold ring guarantee...

431.jpg

He said something about stupidity...

BUT they are sending me some BX4's at a big discount (the stupidity discount) as soon as they are available.

Well... the binos were in the uninsured Jeep, the Jeep was in the garage, the garage was next to the smoker, the smoker held a turkey... the turkey held a grudge. Whatever Kroger charges for smoked turkey buy it all it is a bargain.

So am I gonna like my bx4's?? the Leupold guy said they are great but don't melt them.

I'm in a similar position, looking at the exact models you are considering in fact. First off on the HD dilemma, I cant speak on these models specifically but in general HD is worth every penny every day of the week and twice on sunday. At least in my opinion after having some high quality binos. As far as the 15x binos vs 60mm spotter, I have read every forum and article I could find. The summary I have come up with is for finding game the 15x is better, if distinguishing between a 165" vs 180" buck at a distance the spotter is better. So which do you do more?? I'm torn because I do both quite a bit. One other thing you will most often need to use a tripod or window mount with the 15x binos, with that much power they are very hard to hold steady. The spotter is 8oz lighter, if that matters to you. I've never tried it but you can put a phoneskope on binos as well, obviously won't have the zoom but would still make for good pics and videos. So there's my 2 cents ha

I have been reading very similar findings. I am leaning towards the spotter, it seems to make more sense with the binos I already have.

I had the GR 15x30x50 and currently have 8x42 BX4 Pro Guide Binos. I used the GR out west for one season and sold it. There was not enough gain over my Binos for the hassle of having it for all the same reasons posted in the previous spotting scope thread.

Now, I am in the market for a new Leupold Optic either a GR 20x40x60 (HD?) or a new set of Binos BX-5 Santiam HD. I am not interested in other brands.

Reality is as my wife and kids are just getting into joining me on hunting trips, we will be doing most of our most of our glassing is from the road, house, or a mile or so from the trail head. I already have a good Leupold Tripod that we take with us for stabilization.

I like the idea of the spotter for looking up into drainages and picking them apart and being able to hook a phone skope up to it to take photos or video.

I like the idea of the binos because I only have one set and it would be easier to quick use verses setting up the tripod and will allow the wife to have as set she can use.

So for those of you who have used these I am looking for input on what worked for you.

Was the extra money worth it in the HD verses Non HD? IE: save the money on the spotter and just get her a pair of BX4s.

Thanks Tony

I have 2 spotters both Leupold, one Ventana 15-45x60 and one Gold Ring HD 12-40x60. I carry Leupold 10x50's non HD Mojaves and I love these. I have yet to look through another pair of binocs that would ever justify me from spending above 1g. Ive picked apart of hillside with those much better than another with Swaros..

To answer your question, with you binoc set up I would go with a spotter or a 12+ power binoc to throw on your tripod. I absolutely love the Gold Ring HD, it blows the Ventana away which has 5xmore mag rating. Its light , compact and great glass. Crystal clear. My vote is go with the spotter but again all depends on your preference and your hunting style.

Last edited:
I was wondering about the Ventana verses the GR. Thanks for posting that, it’s nice to hear from someone with both.

I agree with others but from myself I'f add that a rifle scope mounting kit is better bought together with it from the get go. It works well for installing a scope properly. The kit makes fast work of aligning the rings and then lapping them in. The levels were also handy for leveling the scope to the rifle. This is a no brainer if you can follow simple instructions. I recommend it.

Take each outside and look thru without knowing which is which, if you can't tell which is hd why buy them? How do you like the BX4's? Apparently this is not covered by the famous Leupold gold ring guarantee...

View attachment 81016

He said something about stupidity...

BUT they are sending me some BX4's at a big discount (the stupidity discount) as soon as they are available.
Vortex warranty would cover that.... just saying 😏

Back