Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I would choose a range finder for sure every time. I have been on several hunts without a spotter and made it through just fine. I can see how it would be helpful on judging trophy potential though. I wouldnt want to go without the rangefinder though. Most of my hunts were archery hunts and it is especially important then. I have a leica and recommend them but they are spendy. I think a sig sounds like a good recommendation too. Just make sure the aim point and distance readout have light features. I especially like a red display. Low light conditions can make black display hard to read.

2. Default

Ya, Randy Newberg seems to range and dial for almost every shot he takes. Good enough for me.

A few years ago I passed on a shot because I was not prepared well enough via equipment and practice. I vowed to never let that happen again. Fine line between a cool story/miss/wounded animal/buck of a lifetime.

Add in dawn-dusk, elevation change, and needing to maintain a low profile, I believe a rangefinder attached to a bino harness is money well spent. That said, I am attempting to become an archery hunter, so I don't go to the mailbox without one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123