Caribou Gear Tarp

Range Finder + Spotter necessary?

Yup, that's why I can't wait for state G&F to start providing, "drive the game off a cliff" season :)

Gotta say I didn't connect those dots.

I was thinking more like this
2010%20Antelope%20doe%20%232%20small.jpg

Rangefinder: Sig Kilo 1250 is a great value at less than $200. The 2000 is awesome if you can find it on sale, but overkill for most people. A lesser quality rangefinder will have you wanting to throw it at the animal as it won't be able to get a range on a small target at distance.

As most are saying here, it is never a necessity, however.....

If you can make a spotting scope and rangefinder fit into your budget, I wouldn't leave home without them. It takes alot of time, money, and luck (in the draw) to get the opportunity to go out West on a hunt of any kind. If I can make it work in my budget, I do all I can to get the right equipment and do alot of research that will help me stack the odds in my favor.

A rangefinder is a tool I wouldn't antelope without. Making long shots is one of the more difficult aspects of antelope hunting and accurate ranging is very key and there are great options for $350 or less. It is also key for planning stalks in what often looks like featureless country.

Spotting scopes are something you will find yourself going without if you are planning to hike much or are in a unit with more pressure on public where driving is useless after the first morning of the season. The other problem with spotting scopes is that you really need to spend $1,000 or more to get something that is usable beyond the lower half of the power range. I will gladly hunt with $300 binoculars or $300 rangefinders, but with spotting scopes they don't offer much lower end. You also will need to spend a few hundred dollars on a tripod that can make use of a spotting scope especially if you plan to pack it very far.

If you are an outfitter, are trying to shoot a Boone and Crockett buck or have a great limited draw unit with limited pressure and can drive BLM roads and evaluate 100 bucks/day then a spotting scope is pretty critical.

Echoing everyone else, to the point where I lost my rangefinder in a moment of excitement my first year hunting pronghorn in WY and I didn't hesitate for a second buying a new one for the second trip. Pro-tip: Use a lanyard/tether on it.

Rangefinder Yes. Spotting Scope no.

Agreed. If you are worried about score than bring a spotting scope. I would rank shooting sticks and a handheld gps (or cell phone) with On X Maps over a spotting scope. You want to be 100% on where you are shooting an animal.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will start researching range finders, and find something that fits my needs. Im partial to Vortex, so looking at the Ranger 1300. I can get it on Amazon for $299. Does anyone have experience with this unit?

Helpful, yeah. Necessary? No. I'd bring a rangefinder before a spotting scope. mtmuley

Great advice. 250 & 375 can look a lot alike in wide open country. Especially if it's not your usual terrain and you are unfamiliar with the size of your target. I'd never hunt antelope without a range finder and I've hunted them for 20 years.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will start researching range finders, and find something that fits my needs. Im partial to Vortex, so looking at the Ranger 1300. I can get it on Amazon for $299. Does anyone have experience with this unit?

Yes, buy it. You'll be glad you did. Practice with it before go so it becomes second nature.

range finder ( I have sig kilo 2000 love it) took my first trip pronghorn hunting last year and was facing same problem .. glad I went with range finder if your not from the west chances are you cant grasp the open distance .

I just bought the Vortex Impact 850 a few months ago, i got a sweet deal on it at Scheels in Great Falls, they only had the display one left so it was only like $165!! I haven't gotten much of a chance to use it but did take it out with me on a hike here in MT up in the mountains a while back and ranged some random trees and such with it. In my opinion a rangefinder is definitely necessary out here, i also come from the mid-west as well and once you get out west the terrain tends to play tricks on you if you're not used to it. The Impact 850 seems like a solid rangefinder, but this fall we will really see how it holds up. With the VIP warranty its hard for me not to go with Vortex!

Also one idea i would have for not carrying a spotter around with you on your pronghorn hunt would be to get a binocular adapter for a tripod, just setting your binos on a tripod and spotting with those helps a lot!
Vortex makes one for like 20 bucks.
I also have the Vortex Summit ss-p tripod, which for the price is a solid tripod imo, i think it cost me like $85 i believe
Hope this helps

This is the most surprising hunting thread I have read in a LONG time. I am simply amazed at the preponderance of people that think a range finder is essential equipment today. I own one and use it occasionally while hunting but mostly I use it before hunting to practice range estimation in advance.

The technology that made these possible is less than 20 yrs old. Some of you must have been hunting before then, so what has changed that this thing that didn't even exist in the beginning is now essential? Most of you are shooting incredibly flat shooting rifles which makes these even less of an essential tool. If you miss judge a distance by even 50 yds, heck, it's not likely to make a dimes worth of distance. I generally hunt with a .45-70 or .45-100 loaded with black powder and 500 gr paper patched bullets that depends a lot more on my range estimation to be effective. If I miss the rage by 20 yds on a 300 yds animal, the bullet will be close to 10 inches off target, yet I rate the range finder down there with - well, with nothing else. It's my least essential piece of gear. I'd much rather have a spotter - even if it is just my 50 mm Nikon HD, and for a Pronghorn hunt I really want my 82 mm Zeiss since it won't be packed far, if at all. But I, for sure, want a spotter capable of assessing horns at 1000 yds or further.

The times change, and I tend not to, or at least I lag far behind. But this one still surprises me.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back