Hunting Nebraska Sandhills, specifically Ft. Rob and Soldier Creek Wilderness

dannyb278

Would appreciate any advice you all might have

It could be the result of a long Minnesota winter, but I have a real itch to hunt some big open country. For the last 3 years I have hunted pronghorn in Wyoming, and had a great time doing it.

This year I am thinking NW Nebraska for whitetail, with either bow or rifle as tags are OTC. I've heard plenty about how Nebraska public land gets "hammered" though I doubt it is any worse than in Minnesota. I was thinking in the wilderness area, I might be able to find some room.

Would almost rather go with bow, but figure my chance of success would improve greatly with a rifle during the rut.

Anybody here hunt this country before? What are your thoughts? I'd especially like to hear from bow hunters.

thanks.

I bowhunted that area this past year and was also thinking about a gun hunt for next Fall. I had a great trip and really enjoy that area, would love to hear what others have to say about the gun season.

I have bow hunted South of Cody on some private ground when I lived in NE. But have hunted the muzzleloader season up in that area more then with bow. For rifle they have a draw so it is harder to get tags. Last fall we hunted the Fort Robinson area and was able to find deer just didn't find the one I was looking for.

If you want pm me and I can tell more about what we found

I've been thinking about heading out to Fort Niobrara Archery hunting.... has anyone spent any time in that area and have an opinion on it?

A buddy and I are planning a rifle Ne hunt this fall also, it seems like everyone I talk to said the public land gets hammered. For me it would be hard to imagine that it would be more than here in SW MN. We have never been hunting in NE before and are planning on hunting a unit that I'm hoping is more over looked, but we'll see. We picked this unit after talking to 4 different CO's and 3 biologists that all pointed me to where we're going. From talking to the game wardens it sounds like 80-90% of the private land is owned or leased by outfitters so it's really hard to get permission to hunt private. Also if you shoot a deer and it goes on to private land you have to get permission from the land owner in order to retrieve it, the land owner doesn't have to give permission to the CO either.

Also if you guys didn't know that if you get the over the counter rifle deer tag you can any buck or an antlerless whitetail (excluding an antlerless mule deer) and an additional antlerless whitetail.

Fort Niobrara looks awesome to hunt in since it's primitive weapons only I bet there are some big deer running around.

If you guys want to talk more about the information I found out send me a PM.

Sounds like there's more than a few of us minnesotans that are looking to Nebraska. I'd like to hear your results. Thinking of taking a bow out as an excuse to hunt but really just to get out and start walking. camp out for a few days.

It should be a fun hunt, it would be nice to hear how everyone did out there. After talking to the game wardens you can camp on any WMA's in Nebraska in case you want to camp right where you're hunting. I'm thinking of going Muzzleloader or archery hunting out there next year and use this years rifle hunt as a way to scout out some spots for next year.

It should be a fun hunt, it would be nice to hear how everyone did out there. After talking to the game wardens you can camp on any WMA's in Nebraska in case you want to camp right where you're hunting. I'm thinking of going Muzzleloader or archery hunting out there next year and use this years rifle hunt as a way to scout out some spots for next year.

I've stayed at Fort Robinson in the past on a non-hunting related trip. I would definitely recommend it. its a very cool place.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back