Fort Stewart (GA) for hogs?

CdnHunter

I've been reading about hunting opportunities at Fort Stewart, GA. 285,000 acres of habitat for deer, turkey, dove, quail, squirrel, and feral hogs. https://ftstewart.isportsman.net/Hunting.aspx

I plan to check it out on my next trip through GA but would love to hear first hand information from anybody who knows the area well. How is the hog population? What's the best month for hog hunting? Is it mostly road hunting or is it possible to hike into some some more remote corners?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Check to make sure you can get access first. Second, if you have never been around an Army base there are some serious PITA issues associated with it. While I haven't been to Stewart I hunted on 3 of the posts I was assigned to and have some insight. Feel free to PM me.

I have no first hand information for you but I have done a little research. The one thing, maybe you know, is they have an electronic check in system where you actually reserve an area. I am assuming it takes some time to know what the best areas are. Also, from what I understand there are not that many roads and only half of the base is open. During turkey season I don't think they allow hog hunting, or atleast not the whole area I can't remember, but it is open all other times.

For a good resource check out GON, georgia outdoor news forum. Those guys are usually a lot more liberal with info than most forums. I have picked up a lot of local insight for the state.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.

The access rules and hunting regulations are all clearly presented on the web. I am more interested in field reports from people who hunt there. Just a general impression of hunting conditions and methods for the area. I will check out some local Georgia forums. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back