Elk Hunting Near Yampa Colorado

I'm heading to Colorado this year near the town of Yampa. I was looking for any information on gmu 15 or tips that you guys might have. I've been out to Colorado once before and didn't have much luck with elk (hunted public land in gmu 47 for 7 days near Meredith, Colorado and took a nice mulie). Staying in a cabin and primarily hunting the routt national Forest just east of Yampa this year. I was seeing if anyone knew the general elk movements of gmu 15; do the elk head to private property very early (muzzleloader, first rifle) and seeing if anyone has hunted gmu 15 in general and what I should expect as far as hunting pressure and elk population? Its easy to read population objectives and success percentages but all together different to hear it first person.Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I have hunted gmu 15 for the past two years, not close to Yampa...but on the east side and NE side of the unit. a lot of hunters. Saw a lot of deer and moose, but no elk. Got a doe last year and saw several nice bucks...but of course, that was the one tag I did not have for 15. I am still getting to know that unit in the areas that I hunt still, so I will be curious how this season will be.

I've hunted out of Yampa a few times. What season are you looking at? Also, a quick introduction might help you get some more responses.

Looking at second rifle season for this year. It's always the great debate between then and third season but we sided with second this year again. As far as introductions; I live in Pennsylvania and have been hunting all my life. I hunt just about any chance I get and would love to get my first elk. I have no desire to utilize a guide (for the cost and for personal satisfaction) and enjoy getting out there on my own. Living in PA makes scouting nearly impossible and I was hoping to hear others impressions on gmu 15. From what I've read elk numbers seem to be good but harvest is mediocre at best. My plan for this year and why I chose this unit, because my brother and I can utilize a cabin that borders the national Forest with relatively restricted access to public land. The cabin itself is situated 1.5 miles from nearest dirt road and hoping that will move some elk in our direction.

Tstouder, That's kind of the census that ive got in my research. The population objectives are up in the unit and the herd is supposedly doing well but people are not seeing many elk. I saw something to the tune of 7-8 elk per square mile and thought this was high. I know there's a lot of elk in the bears ears and white river herds but more hunters as well. Which is kind of why I gravitated to gmu 15.

Last edited:
I have hunted 15. I hunted it 2001-2006, We went back last year with a muzzy tag. Filled 2of 3 tags.....BUT we got dang darn lucky. We found one pocket of elk and picked the pocket twice. Never saw an elk in any other place. The unit has changed with the Bark beetle. The west side slope didn't look to hold elk like it did years ago. I wouldn't expect to see big numbers of elk there. I don't believe they bail off to private either. The bulls were decent size. I was out there for nearly 3 weeks last fall. I called for my buddy with a archery tag. Trucked a lot of miles. Some hunting pressure to deal with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back