Age and Hunting Dreams

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
This topic is one I am pondering as a result of old man time reminding me that hunting dreams are just that, dreams, until you make them a reality. Maybe winter is taking its toll on me or the lack of exercise in tax season allows more aches and pains to take temporary residence in my sedentary joints. Whatever the reason, this winter has been a lot of time investigating how I get these “dream hunts” to become reality.

My greatest hunting dream is Mountain Caribou. Not sure why an article I read at age 10 still lingers in my mind the way it does, but that article is the origin of Mountain Caribou being a dream hunt. I have been researching the logistics over the last few years and I think that next year I’m going to do it. Yeah, it will require an outfitter, but such is the reality for what many of us have as our dream hunt(s).

My worry has been that after decades of thinking about Mountain Caribou, will it be one of those hunts where I spend the considerable money and time to go there, shoot a bull, and have the feeling of, “Uh, that wasn’t all I had dreamed it to be.” I hope not.

My research and talking to lots of people tell me that it can be either, depending on how you approach it. I intend to find out. Dustin Roe who was on our podcast last year acquired a new territory that has some great Mountain Caribou. What he explained to me of how they do it and the work required, the adventure aspect will be there, no matter the outcome of the hunt.

Next on my list of “Do this before health is gone,” is Dall Sheep. I was all set to fly into the Brooks Range and hunt Dall sheep with my Grandpa, an Alaska resident, in 2000. Unfortunately, a few days before the hunt, he had to cancel. Shortly thereafter, his health started down the long slope of time and we never made it there before he passed away in 2009.

Here is Grandpa's last ram. Longest horn was 39”.
img360.jpg

Now, unexpectedly, I have a chance to go to Alaska and hunt sheep. The reason it is on my list now is the realization we never get any younger, and in this case, the price is right. I’ve been briefed by the outfitter that it has a high chance of low success, thus the low price. But, it would be a sheep hunt, nonetheless. And, it has some interesting aspects that are more appealing to me and my hunting style. Add to that the fact we will already be in Alaska in August for filming and the convenience/cost savings to add this to the end of our trip makes it even better.

Curious if any of you have entered that time in your lives where you decided, for whatever reasons, that you were going to stop dreaming and start doing. I’ve been so occupied with building our platforms and immersed in the hunting that is required for those platforms that it seems I’ve probably let more time pass by than I should have when making these dream hunts a reality. Time to correct that in the next few years.

Your signature says it all buddy. Don't bet on tomorrow.

Don't bring a single camera.

Join the club Big Fin, I stopped dreaming back in 2012 and started doing, I wish I could do it every year, finances just don't allow it, 58 years old this year, but I am beginning to reflect on things, I doubt there will be many more years that I can get covered by insurance whilst hunting overseas, so if I draw this year in Montana I will be looking to my other dream hunt, New Zealand, but that needs some discussion with the wife first.
Good luck to you fulfilling your dreams, go for it!
Cheers
Richard
Curious if any of you have entered that time in your lives where you decided, for whatever reasons, that you were going to stop dreaming and start doing. I’ve been so occupied with building our platforms and immersed in the hunting that is required for those platforms that it seems I’ve probably let more time pass by than I should have when making these dream hunts a reality. Time to correct that in the next few years.

Last edited:
I'm getting there. Last spring archery Javelina hunt in Jan..Missed 3 shots in 30mph winds.Still enjoyed the moment.
Next archery deer in Aug.Still want a big Az.bull elk.Buffalo once in a lifetime.And have never seen the northern lights.
Not as good as I once was but good as I ever was. dirtclod Az. Oh!tried ,but never shot a speedgoat.
I have stopped dreaming and going to start doing.Thanks Randy,goget em'.

Timely post Fin, I've been thinking and discussing with my boys and hunt buds about laying off a NR mountain hunt for a year to save some dough in order to splurge a little extra for the following year.

The health and money adage wins the debate.

I think the calendar says Big Fin and I are about the same age, but I'd say my body is way ahead of the calendar. Frustrating when someone says something about my brother, who happens to be my dad. Even more frustrating how often my brother gets referred to as my son. The dream hunt that's always been in the back of my mind is Cape Buffalo, getting very serious about Africa in 2019.

I think it's great that you realize not every hunt can or has to be on your own and self guided. I have the same issues you speak of as well, waking up achey and pains more and more every year :) Can't wait to see the thread on the hunt.

Randy, I'm 34 and just finally became serious about hunting as often as possible, a couple years back. In fact, mostly due to reading your "hunt elk every year". I had spent the prior 10 years with my nose to the grindstone, figuring I'd become financially set then go out and enjoy it. Your "hunt when you can" really hit home for me after a health scare. So, as a few others have already said, go for it. Don't skip a single chance to get out there. You'll never again be in better condition to do so.

As we get older ad look back on our journeys the understanding that life is a very precious thing resonates more and more. I am 62. I grew up in a wonderful period as a young boy in Livingston. At this time in my life I can't go as hard and far as I once did as a young guy. But I still keep going. Just slower I guess. It all is a little more special these days. Age gives you that gift and appreciation. And I know... just one more really big Montana Bull Elk is out there for me... I just know... this will probably be the fall. After I get him, I'll perhaps not try as hard for them...... perhaps..

Go for it!!! One's "Life" will never be exactly perfect as to the time, resources, and effort one has or thinks they have to go on an Adventure. Either those ones routinely perhaps each fall. Or that once In A Lifetime.

I know you will savor the experience Big Fin. When you walk up on a Caribou Bull, it will all be great. I know for a fact. When you walk those mountains for Dall Sheep. We all know Grandpa will be walking right along with you...... How great will that be.. irregardless of whether a shot is fired or not.. You know and preach that very well..

There never is a better time for all of us.... especially for those who are "older" as we look at the probable last chapters of our hunting careers.

I recently followed a lifetime dream since a small boy......... was it worth the time, effort, intense physical conditions, and some money??........ every second....... look at my Avatar picture.

fishing4sanity........ don't mean to bother you....send me a pm if you wish....I can help you with your dream if you want some thoughts and background...

Cheers, Richard and you do have to "go for it!" Last August my wife in her sixties with a relatively new hip joint and I, in my seventies with a recent victory against cancer, backpacked seventy-six miles for a dream week in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, replicating the horseback trek her mother completed at age twenty back in 1941, when the Bob was a Primitive Area ... after a realization that age and time dictates that we now must "go for it". We have always tried to adhere to the "go for it" philosophy, even when the temporary pain tried to dissuade us. My knees and legs now "talk" to me often ... but I steadfastly intend to climb those slopes after the wapiti and not stop til I drop! As my ninety-nine year old mother who goes to "exercise class" every morning at 9:30 says, "Honey, Move it! ... or Lose it!"

Once you act on the dream ("go for it"), it becomes a wonderful reality!

I've managed to tick a few off my list. I will say that the most emotional I've ever been, was after I killed my first ram. I hunted the UL areas in MT long ago, and dreamed of sheep hunting since I was a kid. The emotion of success was something I can't explain.

Second was chasing kudu. Africa is amazing, so much i had to go back, and will be going for round 3 when my kids get a bit older. The whole experience of it is worth as much as killing something. I suspect your mountain bou trip will be much the same. Those northern mountain hunts are like nothing else in the L48.

My list is pretty short. Snow sheep, moose shed hunting trip on the Kamchakta penn, lard derby eland, and cape buff.

Although I'm a few years younger than Big Fin, I came to this same realization a few years ago. Interestingly enough, I find my desires have much more to do with the adventure and experience in wild places, and has relatively little to do with trophy size and/or the exotic nature of such. I find I would much rather experience a cow elk hunt with a good friend or family member in a remote part of Wyoming. Part of this is financially driven. Given the choice of cheap cow elk tags or waiting for coveted permits, I'll take the antlerless option any day of the week.

I spent relatively few days afield this year for a variety of reasons. It's part of life, and I'm okay with it. However, you can rest assured I will burn up the gravel and the Vibram this year while making every human effort to make up for lost time.

As sad as it is... For such a "common" hunt, my dream hunt, at the moment, is a Wilderness protected bull elk.
This has been the icon - that, "I've returned" moment. Close, yet still way too far last year though... Keep on keeping on.

Best to everyone in your "dream" hunt! There is something special within that "dream" aspect.

Father Time. I am thinking about asking the Wife if I can purchase a landowner tag to archery hunt Colorado’s unit 61. I drew a rifle tag there a couple of years ago and at 58 I will never get enough points to do it. It’s right next door to me and now that I am retired the possibility of spending a whole month of archery hunting in a great unit might be worth the $9000 or so it would cost. I’d never get to do it otherwise.

When I was much younger one of my dreams was to sail my own small boat around the world, that is one thing that will never happen, especially since I am a Colorado Boy. I did get to spend a couple of years aboard various sailboats including The Great Barrier Reef and the Bahamas. Spearfishing is quite the sport for fun and food.

Go for it.

I dreamt of caribou for years. 3 times I went north and 3 times I came home wanting. The hunts were increadible and fulfilling, I just did not see the right bull. Finally, on my fourth hunt I realized my dream. Success proved to be a very emotional moment. I have new dreams. I want an Alaskan moose, a griz and a white sheep. Age will limit me and health is a dark mistress. I’ll get 1 of them, maybe 2. I guess my dream is to tackle all three. Dream big I say.

I hunt Montana every year. With friends and family. Not much more I need I guess. I was gone from home for awhile. Now, every year is a dream year. mtmuley

The past three years I've been hunting out west for antelope and elk, because the fire to do so was stirred by you and your platforms. The fire has always been there it just was smoldering whereas now it is burning brightly, hopefully this year I'll get to hunt mule deer. I'd just take the advice given you and hunt while you can, you will run out of health before money. Enjoy it!!

Father Time. I am thinking about asking the Wife if I can purchase a landowner tag to archery hunt Colorado’s unit 61. I drew a rifle tag there a couple of years ago and at 58 I will never get enough points to do it. It’s right next door to me and now that I am retired the possibility of spending a whole month of archery hunting in a great unit might be worth the $9000 or so it would cost. I’d never get to do it otherwise.

Go for it.

This is where I am dreaming of a New Mexico rifle bull opportunity for my son and I.....or just my son with me along to cheer.

The last 2 plus years since my retirement from the Army I have been on somewhat of a roller coaster. Lots of changes. Work wise, personal wise and with my body. Most of them due in one way or another to my previous profession. Plenty of good to go with the bad but it has led me to be a lot more introspective about all of the facets of my life. Most days I am happy with who I am but not necessarily how I got here or some of the side effects. I have lined up a number of things that I WILL do (a few hunts are in the group) but restraints/responsibilities force me to wait on them which makes me uneasy. I am making peace with where I am and waiting intensely to kind of "start".....I will make sure and document when that goes.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back