Caribou Gear

First time Wyoming Antelope

ecdovi

I would like to apply for a rifle antelope tag in Wyoming. This would be my first rifle antelope hunt in the state and I have zero preference points. I know having no points restricts units I can apply to, but from what I can see from the Wyoming website I have a few options such as units 16, 17, 22, and possibly 21 in more so east central Wyoming. Also potentially 8,6, and 24 in the eastern part of the state. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on units? People talk a lot about access issues to the public land, is this really a problem? I would prefer to not pay trespass fee, but not necessarily opposed, what do these fees usually cost? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have done three Antelope hunts, two buck hunts and one doe only without using my points in those units. All on my own, public land. My method of finding a unit was to get OnX hunt app, and use County GIS maps. You can figure out public roads of the county's GIS maps to figure out which tracks of lands are accessible. Yea it can be a problem, you'll see people hitting some public hard but if you can find a spot to get away from the road you'll have better chance of seeing something. Those critters know the boundarys so it makes OnX that much more valuable to me.

Welcome newbie! I would strongly suggest that you look over this antelope Forum for the last couple years since there is plenty of information on almost all those units as far as access, hunting pressure, etc. Also, look over the Hunt Planner on the G&F website if you haven't already to get a good idea of what each unit looks like as far as private and public lay of the land. Also follow the tips from the previous member as far as road access and buy a GPS with landowner chip well before you hunt so you know how to use it because to go out to any of those hard to access units you MUST have one to avoid trespass tickets! It does get a little old when most of this information is at people's fingertips and the same questions get asked over and over on the same units when people don't have any PPs built up and want to know where to go. Please do more research on your own and you'll find that all of us will be willing to help, but we have no idea if you'll be back as a regular or will be back to help others, as I find that the more time people are on a website the more help they are likely to get. Good luck!

Newbie here as well. I'm planning my first trip to Wyoming . You can find answers to all your questions, just take the time and do your research. You will find that you will get more help if you come in with more specific questions about units/areas. The research/planning is part of the experience.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back