Best time of the year to hunt cow elk?

Antcap

I've built up points for cow elk in NV and was wondering when you guys think the best time of the year is to hunt cow's? I've always thought about hunting the rut, since it would be easier to find the cows with all of the bugling going on, but I've heard that the meat isn't as good since the cows are in estrus. Does this really affect the meat? Is it better to hunt the late hunts or should I hunt the earlier seasons with a bow or muzzleloader? I've only been on two bull hunts here in NV and have never been around a cow elk hunt here.

Early season bow/muzzy cows won't be in estrus.Shot my cow early,great meat.Look for cows in large groups.
Bulls will be together /satellite.Shot lead cow,still had 2 yearlings with her.

I wouldn't shoot lead cow as she might be one of the oldest cows in the group. I shot leading cow once and meat was kind of tuff. Randy would say hunt it whenever you have a tag : )
Good luck!

I have hunted cows here in NV 4 times now and have always hunted the late season which used to end about the 2nd week of January. It is usually brutally cold with lots of snow but we see very few other hunters out and about and they don't really leave the roads. The 2 times I've had to leave the meat on the mountain overnight there was no danger of spoilage, quartered and hide off. I know I wouldn't have that luxury during most early seasons. Never had a bad eating cow yet.
Good luck with whatever cow unit you draw.

DSCN0697.jpg

The late season is normally much easier because cows are on the winter range, which is normally lower country, in big herds. Pull up a state's harvest statistics for cow hunts to confirm--at least in Idaho where I hunt, it's brutally obvious. September hunts can be a good time at least starting after Sept. 15th because the bulls will be with the cows and will be vocal. Other times aren't usually particularly difficult though because of the larger herds and the fact that they don't escape into hell holes in October like the bulls. If you're glassing and targeting likely areas, cow hunting is normally not that difficult, still a challenge though.

Mo fat mo better. Struck out this last year on cows but I was on them every day I hunted I'm just a no shooting basturd. Eating things killed in September is hard to beat.

December and January cow hunts are my very favorite hunts : snow, cold, and seldom any other hunters.

Hunt them early with a bow and then late with a B unit tag in Colorado!

Thanks for the advice guys! I've had to turn in some good tags the last couple years and now I'm healthy with 4 points. I think that I'll check the statistics and go with the most successful areas. I don't really want to kill myself for a cow, but damn I'm craving some elk meat. Thanks again!!

I wouldn't shoot lead cow as she might be one of the oldest cows in the group. I shot leading cow once and meat was kind of tuff. Randy would say hunt it whenever you have a tag : )
Good luck!

A couple years ago I shot the lead cow, that was the 2nd day of bow season. She was gigantic, but yeah, she was the toughest gameiest elk meat I've ever eaten.

I have had a cow tag the last 3 years and can't seem to get one. They are always on the next ridge. Bulls running all over the place though and about had to shoot one to keep from getting run over! Lol. I'm thinking about putting in for late season this year. I have never had a bad cow, but also have never shot the lead cow either. Good luck!

One thing to consider is that earlier in the season you won't be able to tell if the cow has a calf if they are grouped up. One of the few things that Kalistan does well is have most of the cow hunts later in the year so they are weened.

Good luck! I killed a cow this year that the biologist aged about 8-9 years, but they live to be 20 so she wasn't that old... But she is delicious!

Hunt them early with a bow and then late with a B unit tag in Colorado!
I know this is an old post, but what would you recommend for a first time father and daughter cow hunt in Colorado next season? We do a lot of small game and whitetail hunting but next year will be our first western experience. I need a year to get ready and in shape to be able to keep up with her in those mountains.

I know this is an old post, but what would you recommend for a first time father and daughter cow hunt in Colorado next season? We do a lot of small game and whitetail hunting but next year will be our first western experience. I need a year to get ready and in shape to be able to keep up with her in those mountains.
Do you have any preference points?

Back