Cottontail/eurasian help

dirtclod Az.

Anyone have a good recipe for Cottontails/Eurasian doves other than shredded BBQd?
I need something new.Checked out the Pasole recipe,that looks pretty awesome.
I have an abundance of Cottontails and Eurasian doves on and around our property.
Something "different"would be great. Thanks,dirtclod Az.

Sorry, no good recipes to share with you, but if you find a good one for those Eurasians let me know. Wasn't that long ago that I saw the first Eurasian here, now they're all over the place all year. Been thinking about trying some.

I use cottontails any way you use chicken. My favorite is deboned, breaded in your favorite breading, and deep fried in peanut oil.

I’ve cooked Eurasian dove fillets on the grill. Take a slice of pepper and 1/2 of a dove fillet and wrap with bacon. Skewer with a toothpick and cook on grill. You can add barbecue sauce if you prefer. I’ve also seen the pepper replaced with pineapple but haven’t personally tried that yet. We usually cook the doves immediately after the hunt while enjoying a cold beverage. We’ve never had anyone (men,women, or children) complain about the taste.

Schism has it right.I use cream cheese sliced pepper of your choice, mix, place inside eurasian fillet wrap with bacon and smoke till medium don't overcook .Still working on cottontail,maybe peanut oil is the answer.My usual has been bacon grease.mmmBacon!
Tried frying like chicken,but even after cooking classes can never get it right,maybe beaks and feet can never be perfected?

I always liked to do as Redman said and that was to Debone them. Salt pepper and flour with smashed taters, purple hull peas with a brown gravy!!! As a young adult we had beagles (20+) that we ran for rabbits, man I have said it many times if I could have the dogs and lands to hunt like I used to I would give up Big Game hunting. Just a lot of fun watching those tails pop up through the briers, then boom out would pop out a cottontail. John

DRAFTSTUD I am all over it! Why didn't I think of that?Taters and gravy BAM!Oh yeah what the H#LL are purple hull peas?Are they contagious?

DRAFTSTUD I am all over it! Why didn't I think of that?Taters and gravy BAM!Oh yeah what the H#LL are purple hull peas?Are they contagious?
Son........................I almost cried when you had to ask what Purple Hull Peas are! LOL They are the King of the South, PHPs with cornbread sprinkled with pepper sauce is a meal unto it's self. John

I use cottontails any way you use chicken. My favorite is deboned, breaded in your favorite breading, and deep fried in peanut oil.
A variation of this is my favorite way to cook a rabbit. We just never deboned and pan fried them in a skillet. Make gravy from the drippings to put on over mashed or fried taters.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back